Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 3:14:46 PM EDT
My M-14 clone is hungry and needs to be fed.

My local choices for 7.62 surplus are Portugese, South African or Malaysian.

Which is the best?

I have shot the So African in this rifle but it did not group quite as good as the Aussie. How are the others?

Thanks,

EMSflyer
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a case of Portugese and I've had great luck with the ammo.  I've fired 60% of the case and yet to have a failure of any sort.  Shoot real good out of my VEPR.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#2]
All of those are good choices.

SA seems to currently be the most common of the three, at least here in the NW.

The Malaysian shoots the best from my M1a, but not really by enough to make up for the higher cost and the need to delink it, over the SA.

Get some of each and try it out to see which will shoot the best in your rifle. Then get alot of it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:57:50 AM EDT
[#3]
1.  Portugese               good ammo, and accurate

2.   South African        decent ammo,  not as accurate in my m1a

3.  malaysian               never tried or seen any so its last  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:19:26 AM EDT
[#4]

All are good choices...in my AR10 all functioned flawlessly.  THe PORT was the most accurate of the three but not by any amount the really matters.  I'd get the least expensive of the three and buy all that you can.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:29:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Its really a crap shoot until you test all the ammo in your rifle. SA hands down shoots best in my M1A.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive shot portugese thru my M1A and had very good 100 yd accuracy. It crono'ed at between 2464 and 2373 fps.  

My only exp with the Malay was with linked ammo thru a minigun.  The primers are very hard, old style dillon bolts wont shoot it, the tracer does not ignite and the "Fingernail polish" used to seal the primers leaves a hard pink residue inside the gun.  Just for that reason I would never use malay in my M1A
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top