Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/4/2005 6:33:35 AM EDT
I was in a gunshop the other day and noticed how cheap Wolf ammo is, but I've heard it's not very good. And I've heard others say it's ok. Can you guys set the record straight? How many of you use Wolf ammo for your AR15? any problems with it?

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:40:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure this topic has been done to death already but this is basically it: it works great for some, works mediocre for others, doesn't work at all for the rest.  You can see it here: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=177728.  It works alright for me.  I have problems with the case rims being ripped off.  My rifle does the same thing with South African also, but it runs fine with quality brass cased ammo.  Q3131A, XM193, Winchester, it'll run fine, but the cheap brass/steel cases will get the rims ripped off at the drop of a hat.  I usually get a ripped case rim 1 out of every 30-50 rounds.  That's my experience, but as always you may have different results.  MJD

Edit:  Ran through 120 rounds yesterday (8-8-05) and didn't have an issue.  Don't know what that's all about.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:57:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Basically, most people (including me) don’t have any problems with it, especially the newer type without the neck sealant and (less importantly) grey polymer coated cases. However, it is all-around low-performance ammo.

Accuracy, velocity, and terminal performance are all well below par. This means that it is not suitable for applications like defense, hunting, or match shooting. However, for plinking and such, it is a great value IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Works great for some.  Doesn't work in my Bushy at all.  Its a weak round and causes a short stroking problem.  But thats me and my Bushie.  Others love it.  Its cheap enough buy a box or 10 and see what ya think of it yourself.  I love my Bushy too much to feed it garbage but it works perfectly in lesser guns like my Saigia.  BTW its plinking ammo only.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Good for ammo dumps.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone with questions about Wolf Performance Ammunition (in any caliber) should go here first:

www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Anyone with questions about Wolf Performance Ammunition (in any caliber) should go here first:

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that was funny!

Wolf, it's good stuff!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#8]
i really love wolf ammo.  works great with my LMT.  62 grain.  but it doesnt hurt  to keep some XM855PD around too.  

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#9]
GEEZ! Another wolf ammo thread and GUNBERT hasn't weighed in yet. What in hell is this world coming to!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I like it.  Can't beat the price; it's cheaper than 9mm at Walmart.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#11]
At last count I have nearly 900 rounds of it in .223.

I have no idea how much I have in 9mm.

When I want to Rock & Roll Wolf is the first name that comes to mind.

There is no way I’d use it for accuracy or distance work with my Bolt Action rifles, but it is still good General Purpose ammo.
Not everybody gets good results with it, but those of us that have, we enjoy it.

In short:
It is either the worst thing to come to firearms since Fineswine was born
Or the best blasting ammo since centerfire ammo was invented.

Take your pick.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:16:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Only problem i`ve ever had shooting it is..it runs dirty.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#13]
15,000 rounds plus, no problems.  Good plinking ammo.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had no problem using Wolf 7.62x39 in the AK variants I have owned over the years.

That being said, I have seen two instances of squibs using Wolf ammo.  The first was a squib in a brand new Beretta 92FS and the other was a squib in a Colt Target Match AR .

Personally I will not run Wolf Ammo through anything but an AK type rifle.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#15]
there's no point in using Wolf 9mm, the brass FMJ plinking stuff is the same price.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:48:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Wolf ammo sucks.
It is dirty, low powered, it smells funny, it causes gas operated firearms not to operate correctly, it causes bolt action firearms not to operate correctly, it won't load into AR15 magazines, it uses cheap lacquer to seal the cases and the lacquer will build up on the inside of the rifle and cause squib/hang/misfires, it leaves your hand and fingers a funny color, it is made in Russia by small children out of nuclear waste, it causes global warming, dog attacks, unwanted pregnancy, oil spills, metrosexualsism, rotten milk, traffic jams, high gas prices, low wages, John Kerry losing the election, Bush winning the election, liberal media, the vast right wing conspiracy, crowded freeways, Windows crashes, NAFTA, the hockey strike, baseball and steroid use, the Iraq war, the retirement of the F-14, McUzi, mad cow disease, Rosie Odonell, Micheal Moore......
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I have about a case and a half of the .223Rem 62gr through my rifle and have had no problems at all. The thing I hear the most talk about is the fact that they use steel casings, and that all the steel on steel friction will wear more and ruin extractors.

I mix my ammo each time I go out....I shoot Q3131A (running low), XM193, M855, and the wolf.

Wolf is a bit underpowered, and somewhat more dirty...but aside from that, its good, cheap plinking ammo. I dont think I would use it i a precision autoloader, but in a plinker or a bolt gun, I see nothing wrong with it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have had no problem using Wolf 7.62x39 in the AK variants I have owned over the years.

That being said, I have seen two instances of squibs using Wolf ammo.  The first was a squib in a brand new Beretta 92FS and the other was a squib in a Colt Target Match AR .

Personally I will not run Wolf Ammo through anything but an AK type rifle.

What you posted doesn't really make much sense.  If you got squibs from any ammo why would you continue to shoot it?  You'll get just as hurt, or dead, firing an AK after a squib as you would any other rifle.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Wolf ammo sucks.
It is dirty, low powered, it smells funny, it causes gas operated firearms not to operate correctly, it causes bolt action firearms not to operate correctly, it won't load into AR15 magazines, it uses cheap lacquer to seal the cases and the lacquer will build up on the inside of the rifle and cause squib/hang/misfires, it leaves your hand and fingers a funny color, it is made in Russia by small children out of nuclear waste, it causes global warming, dog attacks, unwanted pregnancy, oil spills, metrosexualsism, rotten milk, traffic jams, high gas prices, low wages, John Kerry losing the election, Bush winning the election, liberal media, the vast right wing conspiracy, crowded freeways, Windows crashes, NAFTA, the hockey strike, baseball and steroid use, the Iraq war, the retirement of the F-14, McUzi, mad cow disease, Rosie Odonell, Micheal Moore......

i dont think you left anything out!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quote from metroplex: "there's no point in using Wolf 9mm, the brass FMJ plinking stuff is the same price."

Maybe, but this thread is about Wolf .223 ammunition, not 9mm.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top