Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 9:04:44 AM EDT
Got my shipment in from Cabela's of the BH 77grain MKCL.  White BH box (even though its listed with the new / red boxes on the website) and on top of the box it says "Ammunition Seconds" but on the side of the box flap (where you open it) it says "New Ammunition 5.56MM 77 GR. Match HP".  For $27.99, I bought several boxes to see how it runs, and will shoot it this weekend to find that out.  But when the same box says "Ammunition Seconds" on top, and flap says "New Ammunition", could it be any more confusing?  Its the only '5.56mm' Black Hills listed on Cabela's website, and the white box has 5.56 in lieu of .223 on it, but I had always thought BH didnt release 5.56 to the public?  Im more confused now its here than when I ordered it to give it a whirl.  Regardless, all the rounds look good.  We'll see how they shoot this weekend.

Edit:  Brass is marked WCC 04
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:16:45 AM EDT
[#1]
It is new ammo.  It is Mk262 Mod 1 that did not pass QC for government issue.  It is new ammo just as XM193 is new ammo.  Only BH's seconds are one heck of alot nicer than Federal's.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I was in Cabela's today and saw them on the shelf.  Let us know how they shoot.  They had a decent  price, but I wasn't sure what the "Ammuniton Seconds" meant.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, KClapp.  And for $27 a box, I thought Id try it out.  All the rounds look great (as do all Black Hills 'seconds').  The Black Hills 68 gr BTHP is just about the most accurate round out of my 20" Colt HBAR's, so Im interested to see what these 77gr MKCL's group at.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Got my shipment in from Cabela's of the BH 77grain MKCL.  White BH box (even though its listed with the new / red boxes on the website) and on top of the box it says "Ammunition Seconds" but on the side of the box flap (where you open it) it says "New Ammunition 5.56MM 77 GR. Match HP".  For $27.99, I bought several boxes to see how it runs, and will shoot it this weekend to find that out.  But when the same box says "Ammunition Seconds" on top, and flap says "New Ammunition", could it be any more confusing?  Its the only '5.56mm' Black Hills listed on Cabela's website, and the white box has 5.56 in lieu of .223 on it, but I had always thought BH didnt release 5.56 to the public?  Im more confused now its here than when I ordered it to give it a whirl.  Regardless, all the rounds look good.  We'll see how they shoot this weekend.

Edited to add pic and say I just ordered 300 more rounds for the hell of it

www.digitalveteran.com/ar/mkcl.jpg

Can you tell me if the bullets are crimped into the canelure?

Dr.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Edited to add pic and say I just ordered 300 more rounds for the hell of it

www.digitalveteran.com/ar/mkcl.jpg

Can you tell me if the bullets are crimped into the canelure?

Dr.

There's a definate cannelure on the bullet, but if they are crimped, its very, very light.  I just picked up some cases of the IMI/Samson 55 gr FMJ stuff from Wideners last week, and that has a much more distinctive crimp to it (my non-reloader eye can easily tell that).
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd didn't know you could shoot a 77 grain bullet through an AR(that's what im assuming your shooting it in)  bushmasters say you can safelty shoot up to a 75 grain.. and armalite will shoot up to a 69grain bullet.  How are you loading these magazine or individually.  I was told you can't load a 75 grain bullet in the mag because of how long it is.. is that true?  that would leave me to believe they would have to individualy load them into the chamber, risking a slamfire.   someone fill me in here

thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I should be getting 300 rounds from Cabelas on Monday if not sooner.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't these loaded to NATO pressures, not SAAMI pressures?  If so, I don't think these will be super accurate if they are NATO hot.  But that's why I ordered 300 of their .223 77 SMKs.

Cruze, I believe the 75 grain AMAX round from Hornady won't fit in a magazine, other 75s and 77s are ok though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'd didn't know you could shoot a 77 grain bullet through an AR(that's what im assuming your shooting it in)  bushmasters say you can safelty shoot up to a 75 grain.. and armalite will shoot up to a 69grain bullet.  How are you loading these magazine or individually.  I was told you can't load a 75 grain bullet in the mag because of how long it is.. is that true?  that would leave me to believe they would have to individualy load them into the chamber, risking a slamfire.   someone fill me in here

thanks

There are tens of thousands of our troops doing it in the sandbox as we speak, so I dont know who told you that about the mags, but they're wrong.  As to manufacturer suggestions, I have no doubt my Colt HBAR's will shoot them just fine.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the info
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#10]
No problem.  I dont have access to a chrono or ballistic gellatin, however, a friend and I think a pork-ballistic test is in order.  Publix has a sale on some cheap, canned, Danish Ham, and I will post pics this weekend on our findings.

Yes, Im serious on the ham, and no, Im not drunk right now.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top