Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/18/2005 3:39:26 PM EDT
one thing i was iffy about with the GA .223 is that some of the bullets were pushed in further than others, wouldent that affect consistency and is it dangerous in a .223 sammi chamber?

ie some are pushed so far down you cant see the "ring" around the bullet
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes inconsistent bullet seating will cause pressure spikes with the rounds that are pushed in further. Alot of reloders dont crimp their canalured (s.p.) bullets so they seat them just past it. it helps a bit with accuracy. As long as they are not to far past you will be fine ,but because to the variance accuracy will suffer. I bought a box of miwall reloads that had this problem before they patterned not grouped.
-sigadvantage-
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
one thing i was iffy about with the GA .223 is that some of the bullets were pushed in further than others, wouldent that affect consistency and is it dangerous in a .223 sammi chamber?

ie some are pushed so far down you cant see the "ring" around the bullet

I just noticed the same thing last night while taking inventory. It was very obvious when loaded on stripper clips. Some OK, some were long, and on others you couldn't see the cannelure. Pics coming tomorrow.

What's messed up is that this was the first ammo I ever bought for an AR (been sitting in an ammo can for close to 10 years) and shot up 700 rounds without a second thought. I'm a bit more cautious now-a-days.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I shot over 10,000 rounds of 5.56mm canned heat in the past - never noticed a seating problem and never had any trouble with the ammo.

Wonder if it's something new......
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#5]
i did not notice until i was almost 700 rds thru the canned heat then noticed it was uneven
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#6]
if you sepreat the rounds buy long mid and shory you will get a more consistant group
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, strike my previous comments - pulled a few rounds off the stripper clips and saw:

- they're all like this (about 400 rounds worth) can't remember where I got them.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:57:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, sorry to resurrect and old thread (found it on a search), but I just got 1000rds of this stuff yesterday from Georgia Arms. I also noticed that some rounds I could barely see the cannlure and others I could see it much better. I didn't have time to really closely inspect them, but it almost seemed to me that it was not actually the bullet that was seated inccorectly, but that the cannelure was actually slightly off from bullet to bullet.

I say this because the overall length of each round was exactly the same, but on one round the cannelure was very visible and on another it was almost not visible because it was covered up by brass.

I'll have to look at it more closely to determine, because it could have just been my eyes.

I haven't shot any of it yet, but from all I've heard people say it's fine to shoot with. The label on the can claims 3150fps. I'm sure it will be fine for practice and plinking.

None of the rounds looked like they were sealed like the XM193 though. To me that's not too big of a deal.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:11:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I recently put 1,000 rounds of Federal XM193 (not PD) into magazines. Saw the exact same variations in seating depth as I have seen in my Canned Heat. I have never had a problem with either one, so I don't worry about it.

With all the K's of rounds of Canned Heat that folks on this board have sent down-range, if it was trouble, we'd be hearing about it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I have seen the following quality issues with GA Arms ammo:

1. A circumferential case head crack with a .308 round.  This was in a SAAMI spec .308 chamber.
2. A .308 round that was delivered with a section of the case mouth torn and folded.
3. A slamfire with a .308 round.
4. A new production 7.62x39 round that had inadequate neck tension and/or crimp.  It was pushed into the case upon being chambered.  This one also had a primer that I thought was too high.

Caveat Emptor.

Multi-Tool

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#11]
i heard the case used to reload .308s by GA and other companies have more stress than the .223 loaded
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top