Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2005 8:44:00 PM EDT
About to order some ammo online. My two choices are XM193 and Black hills remanufactured. I know they are both good but which do you guys recommend getting. The black hills will cost about $4 more.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 11:21:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
About to order some ammo online. My two choices are XM193 and Black hills remanufactured. I know they are both good but which do you guys recommend getting. The black hills will cost about $4 more.

Screw those two, Wolf is the best.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your right Wolf is the best...........................

TO POOP ON!!!

I got the Black hills
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, I've never had a problem with XM193 in my Mini-14, Bushmaster 20" or 16". I have had a few ejection or feed problems with Black Hills reloads in my AR's long enough ago (5 or so years) that I don't recall the exact problem, but switched to PMC and Wolf, then to XM193. I still have a few hundred rounds of BH that I use for plinking. YMMV.

I've never chronographed the BH, so I don't know how it compares to XM193.

If you're looking for all purpose ammo, I'd get the XM193.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd get the XM193 its cheaper.... ive shot both, both are accurate id just get the federal cause its cheaper!!

if all else fails ask the magic 8 ball
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I ended up getting the BH because the shipping time will be shorter and I need the ammo by next Sat. Like I said it was only $4 more than XM193. Next time I will probably give the XM193 a shot.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been shooting xm193 mostly in my AR's and it has been working great.  But after seeing alot of guys thats been using wolf excusively in their AR15's and some full auto M16's for blasting around with with no problems it makes me think that it couldnt be that bad.  I mean thats all I use in my AK's with never a problem and if it is good enough for someones $10,000 M16 then its got to be good enough for my AR's.  So I ordered some the other day and I might start using it when I want to burn alot of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Wolf isn't that bad. Actually I was REALLY impressed with the quailty of this new polymer ammo.
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you mean $4 more per box of 20 or per case? It makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:46:27 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for XM193.  Full power, good accuracy and nice flash.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:32:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Justa suggestion, but before ordering quantities of ammunition you should ask yourself this question:

"What ammo does my rifle shoot the best groups with?"

Do your homework first, test different ammunition and allow your rifle to tell you "what" it prefers, you'll find unlike people (who are generally full of shit) rifles are straight up honest and will never lie to you about what they love.

You'll note I made no particular suggestions, but then you'll also note you gave NO information, about your rifle.

No brand, no barrel length or material info, no twist rate.....

Damned hard to give suggestions when one has nuthin to go on. That said I will tell ya that my plinkin ammo is Winchester Q3131A (as it always shoots tighter groups than the XM193 "in my rifles") and my SHTF ammo is Black Hills (blue-box/re-man) 77grn. SMK, but then all my M4s are 1/7 twist and shoot knots w/ it.

Good Luck with your purchase,
Mike

ps - as to "Wolf", my comment on it is "garbage in, garbage out", my rifles are worth too much to me to shoot crap ammo through them.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#11]

I used to shoot nothing but Q3131A. WWB and XM193. I would never shoot Wolf after hearing of all the horror stories with the laquered ammo. But when the so called "ammo shortage" hit and the new Wolf polymer hit the shelves. I decided to try some.

I have shot about 2500 rds of the new Wolf without any problems whatsoever. With the price of Wolf being so cheap,  I have probably shot more than I would have if I were shooting the Q or the W or the X.  I don't like the extra cleaning involved but you gotta take the good with the bad.

My go to SHTF ammo and storage ammo will always be XM193 with a little Q3131A and Federal TBBC 55gr mixed in. If the 5.56 ammo continues to go up in price and be hard to find. I will continue with my practice of shooting Wolf for fun and save the other for any serious social occassions that might arise.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you fucking kidding me?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top