Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2005 11:24:07 AM EDT

I read this today:

"The extended feed ramps were necessary to ensure that the thin-jacketed 77-grain Match King bullets were not damaged during the feeding cycle."

Black Rifle II, by Christopher R. Bartocci, Chapter Four, Special Operations Command (SOCOM) Variations, Page 110.

Would this also apply to all thin-jacketed match type bullets?
Link Posted: 3/24/2005 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2005 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#2]

A few pages later he goes into the development of Mk262 ammunition and skips extremely important details that I learned here. I would have thought it impossible for a writer with insider connections to get it so wrong, but maybe someone with an agenda fed him false info. Or maybe he was just sloppy. But overall it is a good read for basic introductory info on the larger AR15 world.

I was just wondering if there was anything from Mod 0 or Mod 1 testing that showed the thin-jackets were getting damaged in rifles without the extended feed ramps.
Link Posted: 3/24/2005 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 12:39:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I used the 77 grainers to shot dogs in Iraq. I was using a Bushmaster M4 upper I built and had no feed issues without M4 feed ramps.
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Then how come none of the High Power Service Rifle shooters have required "extended feed ramps"??
I mean come on, they've been shooting those 77gn Matchkings for a few years now and I've never heard any of them complaining about feed ramp damage.

Mark
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2005 5:15:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Beat me to it. I don't have M4 feed ramps on my service rifle either, and I don't know anyone who does.

Quoted:
Then how come none of the High Power Service Rifle shooters have required "extended feed ramps"??
I mean come on, they've been shooting those 77gn Matchkings for a few years now and I've never heard any of them complaining about feed ramp damage.

Mark

Link Posted: 3/26/2005 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#8]
In the mid- to late-80s we were using a hodge-podge of M16A2 Carbines (14.5-inch Colt Model 723 with M4 barrels but with A1 handles and sights).  We had many failures to feed with both hollow-point and soft-point commercial ammo, and soft cases (mostly Federal.  The extractor would literally rip the rim off the case, leaving a case with no extractor rim in the chamber, requiring a cleaning rod to knock out).

My Alzheimer's leads me to believe the M4s have the ramps, but the 723s (M16A2 Carbines) did NOT, making the M4 a "Commercial proprietary" design.

AMU M16s have slight relief at the barrel extension for match bullets, but not the lowers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:37:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Mark

+1
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:49:30 AM EDT
[#10]
This is why we need to be careful what we read in these books and magazines.  It's almost always one persons perspective.  The only way to know the truth is to cross reference 2 or 3 times.  Sometimes it just makes for more confusion but others it is apparent what the truth is.  This site is great for dispelling myths like this.  Thank you Troy!!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top