AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/14/2005 9:27:37 AM EDT
Where can I get Hornady 75grn TAP ammo?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Natchez
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Any place that sells Black Hills ammunition, you can buy the BH version ammo loaded w/ the 75grn. MHPBT round.

MidWay, MidSouth Shooter's Supply, etc...... (btw the "bluebox" BH versions are cheaper and come in 50 round boxes)

Mike
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:06:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:16:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Got mine from Northwest Loading Supply , and he is a site supporter.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 Northwest
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:01:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Hello all:
I was looking at buying some of this ammo. my local dealer told me,"they were having trouble with that ammo, here buy some of this instead". I thought, WTF??  said, "no thanks" and walked out.

anybody else here anything like this? I  think it's hard to believe.  Proly just wanted to get rid of some excess ammo he had on shelf..

But then, I bought several guns from him past few years, always treated me right. only dealer around for along ways. sells alot of guns to local LEO's.

any Ideas??
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Only trouble is he had something else he wanted to get rid of.

There is nothing wrong with TAP, red box at least.  I have not tried any of the
new black box FPD stuff.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Me personally I wouldn't buy the stuff.
I would go with the Black-Hills variant.

I think North West Loading has what your looking for.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Why not?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not?

I second DevL's question. Why would you NOT buy/use it?  I use the BH blue box 75gr loads for practice and re-zero with the Hornady 75gr TAP loading.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Why NOT use BHA?  Well, mainly because availability is so spotty.  Sometimes you can find
it sometimes not.  Maybe just my personal experience, but any time I've wanted
TAP 75grainers I have found them easily enough.  And there's the expense.
If I'm gonna have to re-zero I might as well re-zero from shooting good old cheap XM193.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Why NOT use BHA?  Well, mainly because availability is so spotty.  Sometimes you can find
it sometimes not.  Maybe just my personal experience, but any time I've wanted
TAP 75grainers I have found them easily enough.  And there's the expense.
If I'm gonna have to re-zero I might as well re-zero from shooting good old cheap XM193.

TexasSIG,

We are disscussing a match grade load (OTM) versus a practice load (same OTM). If you can find the Hornaday 75gr loading easier then the BH, let me know where you are getting it. I live in the Great State of Texas also. I talking about loads that will consistently yield 0.5MOA (Hornaday) and for practice 0.75MOA. XM193 is a fine 55gr load, but it ain't replacement for either the Hornday or BH loadings.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I understand what we are talking about, but I have problems locating the BHA match loads. I can call Northwest Loading and have 500 rounds of 75gr TAP in 2 days 100% of the time.  I can't find the BHA in stock on a regular basis so I just don't shoot it.  That's a shame, but it's just worked out that way when I went looking for the stuff.

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 6:36:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not?

I second DevL's question. Why would you NOT buy/use it?  I use the BH blue box 75gr loads for practice and re-zero with the Hornady 75gr TAP loading.

I said me personally but I'm not the consesnus of the group.

I would not use TAP because it's more expensive than black hills.
Hornady does not install a canelure on the bullet.
Black Hills reputation of having quality consistant rounds from day to day and lot to lot is impressive.
Hornady does NOT rely on their ammunition, to my knowledge the majority of their profits come from their reloading equiptment and such.
Black Hills has spent more time with testing to produce ammo that is consistant in accuracy and velocity.

Besides though TAP has that cool black coating that is supposidely makes it easier to load there is a need of friction in the chamber so that the projectile will fire correctly.  I would rather have ammo that is un coated so that there is one less posibality for error.

But I'm not the consesus of the forum, just one guy
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:04:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I would not use TAP because it's more expensive than black hills.

They're about the same price, TAP is sometimes cheaper depending on where you look.

Hornady does not install a canelure on the bullet.

Hornady TAP 75gr has had a cannelure for well over a year now.  BH just added cannelures this year.

Black Hills reputation of having quality consistant rounds from day to day and lot to lot is impressive.

BH makes wonderful ammunition but they are not without fault (nobody is).  I have seen variances in velocity lot-to-lot and occationally a box will have some "high" extreme spreads for match ammunition.  Of all the Hornady TAP I've shot it's been the most consistent lot-to-lot ammunition I've ever used.  Yes, I have chrono numbers to back all this up.

Hornady does NOT rely on their ammunition, to my knowledge the majority of their profits come from their reloading equiptment and such.

Do you have any information to back this up?  I don't know for sure but I believe it's actually their bullets and ammunition that is their money maker.

Black Hills has spent more time with testing to produce ammo that is consistant in accuracy and velocity.

Really?  Do you have a log book of hours for both manufacturer's or something?

Besides though TAP has that cool black coating that is supposidely makes it easier to load there is a need of friction in the chamber so that the projectile will fire correctly.  I would rather have ammo that is un coated so that there is one less posibality for error.

High chamber friction = good?  That's news to me.  Let's all ditch our chrome lined barrels, scrape the polymer off our Wolf ammo and go shooting.

Actually the coating is there to make it easier to extract.  FWIW the TAP FPD brass does seem to be a bit softer than the normal brass they used previously so it's probably not good for reloading.  The cases crushed easier with a pair of pliers.. kind of a subjective measurement, but works for me.

But I'm not the consesus of the forum, just one guy

You are perfectly entitled to your opinions and are welcome to share them on public forums.  Varying opinions are good but you should have some evidence to back them up or expect to get called on them.

FYI, I like both and shoot both.  I don't think you can go wrong with either.  Choose the one that shoots best out of YOUR barrel.  If they shoot the same, go with whichever is cheapest & most available to you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#18]
wyv3rn there are numerous people that have more information between these two ammo's, you are one of them.  

My statements are from what I hear other people say, I have yet to shoot them.  

I will not defend what I said because I have little evidence I can prove what I said with.

What ever that black coating on the TAP is, it makes the cases look better and load easier but all I know is that it I consider it a lube.  From what I've read, lubes on the brass is something I would want to stay away from.

Until I get more information on what that part of the ammo is, The black coating, I would prefer to stay away from it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I have seen lot to lot spreads of 150 fps difference in BH Red box before and thought it was NATO pressure.  Black Hills informed me it was a bad batch.  THey said it did not chrono THAT differently but its so extreme I still have 10 rounds of it and it FEELS and SOUNDS like NATO pressure and Brouhaha's chrono showed it was in fact 150 fps hotter.  Is that the extreme lot to lot consistancy you were saying is better than anyone else?  BH is just another ammo manufacturer.  I have 1000 rounds of 75 grain Blue box on order for practice.  TAP is still my prefered carry load.  Id use BH just as interchangably.  Being devout to one brand is foolish IMO.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top