Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 3:20:49 PM EDT
I recently got a membership  at my local indoor range so that could fire off my ar during the cold season indoors. I signed off on all the rules and began plinking.

That first night I had WWB that I was using and the guy at the desk asked me befor i went in if I was using any steel cased ammo, I told him just brass tonight and he said ok.

The members area is sectioned off from the normal part of the range and I see guys fireing off wolf all the time, and a bunch of steel case's down range. Yesterday when I went I overheard a guy saying they dont allow steel casing cause they cant re cycle it and they have to pick it out of the pile at the end of the day. But I still see people shooting it all the time?

Is this normal for most indoor ranges? I just got a case of wolf ( i know i know, just to hold me over though and im compulsive about cleaning ) and would be majorly bummed out if I wasted the money on rounds that are not proper to shoot,, Im not really the type to just go in and start using it until someone says not to, so im just seeing if this is normal for most areas? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Pickup every single one of your cases, use a brass catcher, etc.  No problem.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Many indoor ranges that I go to don't allow steel-cased ammo to be used.  However, there is usually only one guy who supervises the firing line via a black and white security monitor.  I see a lot of people shoot wolf and other Russian ammo.  One of the range guys said  the reason they don't allow it is that they don't want any corrosive ammo being used.  Sounds kinda BS, but go figure.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell them about "magnets", that should get the steel cases away from the brass.................
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#4]
IMHO that's BS

Who gives a rats ass if they can't make any money off of the dunnage that I leave behind?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#5]
They do this because steel AMMO hitting the backstop can cause sparks... causing a fire.
WOOT!!  Newb with an answer!!!
I go to NRA-HQ indoor range.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:23:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I recently got a membership  at my local indoor range so that could fire off my ar during the cold season indoors. I signed off on all the rules and began plinking.

If you're in Western Washington, I'm pretty sure I know which range you're refering to.  They just instituted this policy about a month ago, IIRC.  It is kind of a hassle (I usually shoot Blazer pistol ammo).  I really don't want to bust the employee's balls about it though - they work there; their job is to enforce management's rules.  I wll probably just frequent other ranges more often and use the money I save on a good jacket.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They do this because steel AMMO hitting the backstop can cause sparks... causing a fire.
WOOT!!  Newb with an answer!!!
I go to NRA-HQ indoor range.

Woot! Newb didn't read and/or comprehend the post!  Steel- CASED ammo is what the guy is talking about.  A lot of ranges don't like it because they can't sell it or are too lazy to buy a $10 magnet and fish it out of the brass cases at the end of the day.  They also want to sell their overpriced brass case ammo, which they can't do if you bring your own Wolf rounds.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont have problems with that here, but I take all my casings and sell them for scrap.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Those other guys were being *ssholes.  I would have pointed them out to the R.O. at the first opportunity.

Don't bring Wolf onto the range unless you work out a deal where you're allowed to separate your "brass", a la kensteele's proposal, otherwise it could jeapordize your membership.

Steve "The Penultimate Boy Scout" G.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top