Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 2:49:14 PM EDT
I have a fairly new LMT 10.5 upper on a Colt lower and I've noticed that I can run Wolf 55gr rounds through with no problems what so ever. I switched to Wolf 62gr hoping that the heavier round would be a little more accurate. I know Wolf is not the best, but for plinking around at the range it does OK.
At least it did until I switched to 62gr. With the 62gr, the bolt does not come rearward far enough to strip the next round from the mag. The bolt seems to catch the next round right at the center of the case denting it. Yet with 55gr the gun runs flawless. WTF!!
Anyone have a reasonable explanation as to why this would be?
I know Wolf is underpowered, could this be a bad lot that is under underpowered?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Because god hates you.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
see above.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Gee, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't have a clue.
I haven't used Wolf 62gr ammunition.
I haven't examined the ammo or your rifle.

Perhaps the troubleshooting board can be of more help.

What was the Lot Number of the ammunition?

~Craig
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Pressure at the Gas Tap/ Timing.

short tubes all have issues with this, and it is worse with underpowered(Compared to nato spec ammo) ammo in a properly set up system that was designed around M855 and M193 pressure curves.

Try some good stuff in 62gr and watch what happens.

A local L.E. with a Colt 10.5 has the same issues and sticks with the Wolf 55gr for buzzgun fun...er "Practice" when things are less than formal.

My own M4 exhibits the same tendencys but not as drastic with the 62gr. Wolf.

Best of luck!
S-28
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I realize that 10.5 barrels tend to be somewhat finicky. My ammo of choice is XM193 and NEVER have any hiccups at all with it. But for just fartin around at the range the 55gr Wolf works great too. I just don't understand what would make the 62gr basically turn my rifle into a single shot.

ETA: Would the 7gr difference in the rounds develope less gas pressure and throw off the timing just enough to cause the carrier not to be pushed all the way rearward. I don't know enough about it, but apparently it must.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top