Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/13/2004 1:27:29 PM EDT
I am new to this site and I have a question. This Wolf Ammo is really cheap ..Please tell me the + and the - on this ammo. I have a problem, steel jacket ...what will this do to my AR?
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#1]
buy a box and try it out. some like it, some don't.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#2]
People either love or hate Wolf.  I don't use the stuff myself.  Had some problems years ago with the laquer they use on the case to seal it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#3]
This will bring on a storm of shit.....

My opinions:

This is the only "Blasting" ammo I buy now for my ARs, AKs, etc...I still reload for target type work. It functions great in my guns and I had 2 stuck cases in one of my ARs in about 3000 rounds of Wolf...I must add, this was the older laquer (sp) cases. I have never had a problem with the newer polymer coated cases...not in about 2000 rounds. The stuck cases were the last rounds in a 30 round string of bumping with a non-chromelined barrel. They just popped out after sliding a cleaning rod in....so no biggy.

For me, cheap ammo that works means more trigger time.....which translates directly to more FUN.

Some people hate it...I don't know if they know why, but they do.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Works fine.
Never had a problem.

Wolf in my AR, wolf in my .45.  Both go bang everytime.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Have you read this yet? www.ammo-oracle.com/

I love Wolf ammo. I shoot milk jugs and crap with it all day long. It runs like a champ through both my AR's.

I store LC and Q3131A long term though like most members on here do.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I've shot tons of the stuff.  It's cheap Russian blasting ammo.  My stash is XM193 but the Wolf is fine for shooting cans and steel plates.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Try it in your guns, if it works then use it. I have never had a problem with it in either of my AR's. It's great blasting ammo.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Even if you get it to work in your AR, Wolf 5.56 Is extremely underpowered stuff.
The 7.62x39 & 5.45X39 are fine though.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#9]
At $80/1000rds, and it goes bang bang bang all the time. Great plinking ammo, have gone thru thousands and thousands of rounds in my bushy.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:19:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Ive shot 5000 rounds of wolf 55gr FMJ and have had no ammo related problmes  I only shoot it to about 100 yards and its consistant that far. Shoots clean also, more so than the winchesters i have used.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Just a note on the under powered part (not flaming anyone)

I have a Bushy Carbon 15 with the "Flame thrower" muzzle break. Winchester white box produced a much smaller fire ball then Wolf......don't know exactly what that means...but wanted to share
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The Wolf is underpowered compared to M193 spec ammo, but it works just fine for plinking and the like.

The M193 spec ammo works great for more serious needs, but puts more wear on your rifle than the Wolf does.

I would not be concerned with wear in a Semi auto AR15 type firearm, Many military versions have been fired 50k+ times, Mostly on full auto, Before they were deemed worn out.  
The barrel can easily be replaced & you are good to go !

As far as how underpowered Wolf is, Try mixing M193 & Wolf in a mag alternating 2 rounds of wolf & 2 rounds of M193, You will quickly see what I mean by underpowered. I do not understand why the Russians don't load the Wolf to spec? I suspect it has something to do with pressures & the steel cases.
Does anyone out there have any other ideas?  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:36:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:08:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Wolf is underpowered compared to M193 spec ammo, but it works just fine for plinking and the like.

The M193 spec ammo works great for more serious needs, but puts more wear on your rifle than the Wolf does.

I would not be concerned with wear in a Semi auto AR15 type firearm, Many military versions have been fired 50k+ times, Mostly on full auto, Before they were deemed worn out.  
The barrel can easily be replaced & you are good to go !

As far as how underpowered Wolf is, Try mixing M193 & Wolf in a mag alternating 2 rounds of wolf & 2 rounds of M193, You will quickly see what I mean by underpowered. I do not understand why the Russians don't load the Wolf to spec? I suspect it has something to do with pressures & the steel cases.
Does anyone out there have any other ideas?  

I'm very aware of the difference between the two. You can really see the difference when shooting steel with the two types of ammo. My statement about the M193 causeing  more wear was a bit of sarcasm for those that say Wolf will ruin your rifle. While you'll be able to get many rounds of both types of ammo through your rifle, the M193 will wear it faster than the Wolf will. It may be that most people will never shoot enough ammo through their rifles to ever notice, it still does wear faster. If I do ever wear out my barrel, I'll just use the money I saved shooting Wolf to buy another barrel.

Sorry ,No offence was ment.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 6:08:26 AM EDT
[#16]
ok, here is an observation i have made about the new wolf, this is the first time i have used it

100 rds of ammo fired through an ar pistol with a 10.5 inch barrel

accurate as the older wolf stuff, it seems to shoot the same, no jams, no hangups of any kind, as reliable as one could hope for, this is interestig since a pistol was used

the thing that got my attention the most was the fact that the older wolf stuff was really dirty when the rifles were cleaned, even with only a few rounds fired, but i noticed this pistol after fining was nowhere near as dirty as the older wolf was, this could possibly be a new powder used to make the ammo, or maybee the powder all wend out the barrel before burning, who knows, but it did seem a lot cleaner that usual, when i took it apart to clean it i though, hey this is fine i should just shoot her more before cleaning
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top