Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/9/2004 1:53:38 PM EDT
At what range does the 110 grain TAP round cease to fragment or penetrate adequately from a 20" barrel?  What about the 155 and 168 grain versions?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I had some info on that but I think my wife threw it out, so I can't retype what I posted. Maybe some one will be able to pull it up. I would say the 110 would fragment at a further distance than the others. If I remember correctly Hornady had info on all of their .308 TAP out to 300 yards.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#2]
So the ballistic tip fails to fragment at a certain range then correct?  It still penetrates though right?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure Nosler makes a 110grn Ballistic Tip, Hornady sure does though with their "Vmax" bullet and they are the ones who market the TAP line to boot.

The Vmax round is said to fragment violently down to around 1400fps.

Question I have though is how accurate is it.    Out of my AR10 I haven't yet gotten it to do that well, AR10 might not like the load much and I just need to work on it though.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So the ballistic tip fails to fragment at a certain range then correct?  It still penetrates though right?

I don't know about that. I would think that the 110 would fragment beyond that range since it is so light and fragile of a bullet. I just think they stopped their testing at the range since this ammo is geared toward LE. I think 300 yards or beyond is well beyond most LE  shootings and maybe they figured testing beyond 300 yards was a waist of time. I would think the 110 would still fragment out to maybe 450 to 500 yards but as to what degree would be anyone's best guess.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top