Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2004 10:52:49 PM EDT
Hello Everyone.

I've been trying to decide what case of Ammo to get. I live in Hawaii where we have to special order factory ammo if we want to pay decent prices for it, and I am about to purchase a couple of cases of .223 for my 1st AR15. So far I have only used 50 and 55 gr rounds because that's all the dealers have here for a reasonable price. (in boxes of 20) I've shot mostly Federal & American Eagle.

I've read that the optimal bullet for a 16" barrel would be somewhere around 62gr. I have a 14.5" "M4" barrel on my Bushy. I can get a case of 500  55gr .223 for around $170.00 (American Eagle) or the same amount of rounds in 62gr for a little under $200.00. (Shipped) I don't mind paying extra for the 62's if they are indeed better for my gun.

My barrel is a 1:9 twist 14.5".

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I really would appreciate your advice.

E
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
55s are better for your gun, in both trajectory and terminal ballistics.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you Jack!!!

I was just reviewing the "Ammo-Oracle" again and just getting myself more and more confused. LOL! Well...at least I'm used to shooting 55gr already....

Question: Does a heavier/longer bullet such as the 5.56 62gr FEEL different when fired out of a gun like mine? Is there any difference in recoil, or muzzle blast?

E
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Depending on the load you could very well feel a difference in muzzle blast, which is both flash and noise, but its VERY unliekly you could ever tell a difference in recoil. XM193 has a lot more muzzle blast than SAAMI spec .223 loads, for instance.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks again Jack, I really appreciate you taking the time out to answer my question. I sure wish I could find a source here locally for the Military Ammo, but there isn't one. I'd like to see for myself just how different the 2 rounds (.223/5.56) feel.

So 55gr it is. Do hollow point hunting rounds make better home defense rounds than FMJ's?  I mean at "In Home" distances?

I understand that hollowpoints are made to expand more with less penetration, but what about in the home? Would they be less likely to go through walls?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
ammo oracle buddy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks again Jack, I really appreciate you taking the time out to answer my question. I sure wish I could find a source here locally for the Military Ammo, but there isn't one. I'd like to see for myself just how different the 2 rounds (.223/5.56) feel.

So 55gr it is. Do hollow point hunting rounds make better home defense rounds than FMJ's?  I mean at "In Home" distances?

I understand that hollowpoints are made to expand more with less penetration, but what about in the home? Would they be less likely to go through walls?

HP is not very useful in a 5.56, stick to 55 gr FMJ, it will fragment at close range, annd rarely is very dangerous after passing through two sheetrock panels, spaced apart.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top