Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2004 5:49:34 PM EDT
Whats the optimal barrel length for the 9mm to attain maximum velocity? Lets consider first normal pressure loadings (basics first).

I am guessing that somewhere between 12" and 18" the round might start losing velocity.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the purpose that this information will allow you to attain?  Higher velocity 9mm ammo is not much more lethal than it is out a 4" barreled pistol.  A 3.5" barrel will give reliable expansion beyond 25 yards.  No mattter how fast the 9mm is it drops like a stone at 100 yards and beyond.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Since I don't what to steer from the original question (since I want to know the answer or at least hear some suggestions...) lets say it's just for the "theoretical aspect".
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
7.5"
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:10:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top