Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 7:20:18 PM EDT

I have no idea what these cartridges are.  I've consulted every Bullet FAQ, every forum archive, FAS.org, and wore out Google, yet I still cannot find any information even as to the function of these rounds.  They're unfired, bear a 68 Lake City headstamp, are apparently .308, and have this proboscis filled with some kind of red resin.  They don't have the traditional rose-petal crimp of a blank.  Small amount of red sealant on the primer.  Your assistance identifying these would be appreciated.

I found them at a flea market, 20 or so all linked together.  I asked the guy what they were, and he declared them to be ".223 Tracer Blanks."  I then thought to myself "My ass," but let him off the hook.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
they're just 7.62 blanks linked for an M60/M240.  Nothing mysterious.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Well now I feel like an ass.  Sure enough, the M82.  Thanks for the help.  As for why I couldnt figure it out before, I may have been dropped as a child.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Some of  us shoot blanks all the time, don't worry.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:50:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Just older M82 blanks.

The M82 round changed from a paper wad to a star crimp sometime in the late 1980s/early 1990s.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top