Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/21/2004 11:30:26 PM EDT
Has anyone else had a bad experiance with Wolf 5.56 Amo. I had a bolt seperate right in half at the cam hole and lodge in the breach while shooting Wolf, fortunately my rifle was an Oly arms and they replaced the bolt no charge no questions asked. Oly is an excellent co. for customer service as far as I am concerned and this ammo is to blame.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Has worked well for me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Really, Oly told me "never shoot that shit through your rifle" because of the coating on the case causes it to build up when it gets hot and then leaves a residue in the chamber  and then "oops the whole bolt and empty shell casing gets stuck".

Peace through superior firepower
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want I will send you some real cheap. Almost free
P.S. We all know who to blame, but it aint PC to say it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I run Wolf through several guns I have in diffrent cals.

I have heard of Oly suggesting people not use Wolf before, I think they are the only ones who say that though.

I have ran a few thousand through AK and SKS, and probaly 1-2 thousond more through diffrent pistols and rifles.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:11:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I think it may be an Oly thing but I am wary anyway. I sent you an E-mail about my left-over ammo if youre interested. What the hell time is it where you are, cause I am in the pacific time zone. Mo-Fo.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#6]
4:15AM

IM me instead, I rarely check my email, so I see IMs faster.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#7]
since wolf is underpowered, i can't see how it could break a bolt in half.  i have heard of bolts breaking in that spot before.  usually it was a DPMS bolt.

i've shot 500rds of the new wolf through my AR this summer.  1 FTF, but i think it was a mag problem.  i just bought 300rds of the old stuff last week.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I have seen the aftermath...

Dirty, Out of Spec, Dirty...

MT

Wolf Poo, Don't step in it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:33:31 AM EDT
[#9]
15,000+ rounds through my OLY M16, no problems here!  You shoot what you like, as far as I'm concerned the new polymer wolf is the best blasting ammo you can get, bar none.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:27:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
15,000+ rounds through my OLY M16, no problems here!  You shoot what you like, as far as I'm concerned the new polymer wolf is the best blasting ammo you can get, bar none.

I'd have to say the same about the old Wolf too.  I have over 2K through my Oly.  I do have to admit that I did have a case stick about 500 rounds ago.  I had to open the rifle, remove the bolt carrier, slip my cleaning rod down the barrel and give it one light tap before it fell out.

The XM193 that the extractor had torn the rim off of was almost as easy to remove.

If anyone else has any of that nasty Wolf around I'll take it off of your hands.  Of course there will be a disposal charge for me to do this.

I heard of bolts breaking before with all kinds of ammo.  I think that 99% of the time it's a problem with the bolt, not an ammo problem.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:42:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I've used both the older laquer coated and the newer ploymer coated and I've had no problems with either.

In the past I've avoided the laquer coated ones but I'm a recent convert to the new polymer coated ammo.  

The low price makes it excellent practice ammo and as you all know practice makes perfect.

My carbine seems to eat Wolf the poly ammo like candy but YMMV...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#12]
This bolt breaking is not an ammo problem.  That's a common area for breakage as drilling that hole causes stress fractures in the area.  Another common area is the lugs.  I only use bolts that have MP markings as nothing can ruin a day like a jammed rifle.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I only run Wolf in my AK's. My other guns, AR's, Garands, etc are too nice to take the chance. Good ammo really isn't expensive enough to take the risk.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I've used both the older laquer coated and the newer ploymer coated and I've had no problems with either.

My carbine seems to eat Wolf the poly ammo like candy but YMMV...

+10
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I will concede that the original wolf with the red sealant around the case neck was much tougher to get working in my guns (don't confuse this with the green laquer coating on the cases, there was nothing wrong with that stuff, unless you listened to the gunshow SEAL who was selling something else).

But Wolf, like any good capitalistic company, improved their product, and managed to keep the price the same, or lower it!   I just don't get the mentality of guys who say "it's cheap, so it must be shit", as if doubling the price would change their perception.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I figure at $80/1000rds my cost for WOLF, i have saved enough money to buy a new rifle, bolt, barrel, etc.  Thats if it ever does have a failure caused by " the bad wolfy ammo".
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Just went to the range today and shot 300 rounds of the new wolf poly-coated ammo through my new bushmaster 20". No problems at all, except a hot barrel and  bad smell :P
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, the odor is that usual Wolf smell!
I've cycled a lot of polymer rounds thru my BM M4gery.
It's cheap stuff, and a bit dirty.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By Hail Mary:
This bolt breaking is not an ammo problem.  That's a common area for breakage as drilling that hole causes stress fractures in the area.  Another common area is the lugs.  

+1, or incorrect heat treat can also be a contributing factor.

It's dirty, but it's cheap, and I've never had any problems with the polymer coated ammo, other than possible tendonitis in my shoulder from added bore cleaning.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top