Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 6:53:40 AM EDT
Hey guys, I am new to the forum & AR 15s. I have some shooting buddies that are telling me the commercial 223 ammo & 5.56mm ammo are not interchangable. Also, all the reloading info that I've found only says 223 Rem (5.56mm), which is the way that I've seen ammo packaged. What is the story here. Can I shoot commercial 223 ammo in my 5.56 AR? Also what about reloading using 223 dies and brass. Can Remington brass be fire formed to fit a 5.56 chamber.
Any help would be great.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:30:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Since I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination I'll give you a short answer. Yes, you can shoot .223 rounds from a 5.56 chamber. I've read that 5.56 rounds, such as Q3131A, in a 223 rifle may cause some concerns of over pressure due to the tighter chamber and the higher pressure which milsurp ammo is loaded to. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you a more in depth answer. Hope this helps for the time being.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this for shooting ducks?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top