Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2004 8:19:54 PM EDT
I want to know what weight bullet I should be using in a 16" w/ 1/7" twist. Also, if someone can recommend where I can get a box of stuff that will meet my target needs out of the same.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Define Best?

Most Accurate? (Black Hills 77gr SMK)
Cheapest? (Wolf 55gr)
Best Terminal Performance?  (77gr Mk226 Mod1 from Tommy @ Georgia Precision)
Most Cost Effective (good compromise of the above)?  Black Hills 75gr Heavy Match
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:38:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Cheapest first
Most accurate second
Cleanest third

I'm looking for appropriate ammo for the range... won't 55gr be too light for a 1/7" twist? I certainly don't want anything lacquered.

I assume that the same weight bullet that is appropriate for my plinking will be appropriate for other uses but what weight is that, exactly?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Cheapest first
Most accurate second
Cleanest third

Wolf is the cheapest - but it fails in accuracy and cleanliness.

Winchester Q3131A is a bit spendier (there are deals if you look around - I've seen it for $154/1000 rounds at gunshows) but its accuracy & cleanliness is very good.

I'm looking for appropriate ammo for the range... won't 55gr be too light for a 1/7" twist?

No it won't - its shoots fine - have you not read the Ammo Oracle?  The link is tacked to the top of the forum.

I certainly don't want anything lacquered.

Newer Wolf isn't laquered - the older stuff is (be sure to ask if you are buying it).

I assume that the same weight bullet that is appropriate for my plinking will be appropriate for other uses but what weight is that, exactly?

Depends what those other uses are.

Military spec 55gr FMJ from Winchester as Q3131A or Federal as XM193, is a decent 'all purpose' round but it's not very good for small varmint hunting, nor is it good for long range target shooting.

What other uses are you intending?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:58:54 AM EDT
[#4]
With a little luck, I won't be doing anything other than practicing and won't need anything other than target ammo... I always like to have some self defense ammunition on hand should the need arise... I'll take a look at the ammo oracle but I seem to remember hearing that 55gr will come apart when fired with barrels with a high twist rate.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... but I seem to remember hearing that 55gr will come apart when fired with barrels with a high twist rate.

That is complete BS - my brother used to shoot 200y reduce course High Power matches with 55gr and a Colt 1:7 barrel.  Pleny of guys have taken FIREs Carbine 1 & 2 courses using 1:7 twist barrels and 55gr.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Cabelas has 2000 rounds ss109 bulk for $399 plus shipping. It shoots great out of my 1/7.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top