Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2004 7:12:19 PM EDT
I have a few boxes of Q3131 (not Q3131A) picked up from a local store here in Ontario. Is it normal for brass to be discolored (darkish gray) at the top, in addition to small dents in the brass? All are discolored, and most have small nicks and dents but not all. Just wondering if they are safe to fire.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discoloration on neck shoulder and portion of case body below neck is normal annealing discoloration. Small nicks and dents will hurt nothing unless the nicks are deep. If you lived here (US) I'd say send 'em to me and I'd test them for you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:30:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:37:51 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as the dents are not too large or something that bends the round then it is safe to fire. Check out The ammo orcle at: www.ammo-oracle.com and you can see what a really bad round looks like and it will also explain why there is discoloration and dents and nicks in the ammo, but it is like what everyone else has said.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.

I am still not certain when this Q3131 stuff was made however.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top