Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/4/2004 11:23:51 PM EDT
Whats he best way to remove a stuck Wolf case out of the chamber.

I tried a cleaning rod but it was a no go.

Help
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#1]
A military cleaning rod was a no-go?

Wow....

Y
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:54:47 AM EDT
[#2]
When a Wolf Poly case got stuck in mine about a month ago, it took several sharp taps with the flat side of a hammer on the handle of a one piece Dewey Teflon rod to get it out.

The casing had dark blue marks on it that looked like the poly coating had melted and glued itself to the chamber wall. Another Board member had the same thing happen to him, and he posted a pic of it.

If you manage to get it out, check your chamber wall carefully.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:05:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:37:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Same thing happened to me.  I tried everything I could to no avail.

I ended up having to sell my entire upper in the EE.  The buyer managed to fix it.

Needless to say I don't shoot Wolf ammo anymore, never again.  It's not worth the risk to my new upper.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:15:39 AM EDT
[#6]
You need to get some solvent in there
I would recomend laquer thinner,when you go to the home store to pick it up get the largest steel rod that will fit down your bore (1/4"=.25 to big,3/16 ok) or be willing to sacrifice a GI or other STEEL rod. If going the 3/16 rod route you can wrap scotch or electrical tape around it to protect bore.Just make sure whatever you slide down the bore is clean and has a nice square end. (no threads or such)
Take your upper outside (laquer thinner is mucho flamible and stinky )and pour some down it,cover and soak,repeat.You should stand the upper pointed up and pour a couple spoonfulls dowm the bore so the case overflows and seeps down between the chamber and the case. Laquer thinner will evaperate fairly quick so you need to cover and repeat. Let the solvent work on the laquer/polermer/dirt or whatever is glueing the case and don't be afraid to really rap the rod.WD40 or KROIL (the oil that creeps)might work also
A steel rod works best, a cleaning rod with male or female thread will only mushroom and then you will have a case AND a rod stuck in your gun.
If the solvent doesn't work after a couple tries (give it several hours to soak) I would try the KROIL or wd40 and let it sit for several days
I once had a jacketed bullet stuck in a 26/06  several inches ahead of the chamber. Two gunsmiths gave up on it after I mashed the spire point and jammed it tight.Ilpounded like hell on it and it wouldn't budge. I let it sit for a couple of days with KROIL oil and it slid out with a couple of medium taps.Amazeing stuff. Soak lead crusted pistol barrels with it and the oil will work behind the lead and it brushes right out !!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:34:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:35:31 AM EDT
[#8]
This happens a lot when the rifle is hot and the live round of Wolf is left in the chamber for longer than a few seconds. The coating melts and bonds the case into the chamber. When fired, the rim gets ripped off the case, and you are done for the day. Here's a photo of one of my cases:

Pounding on it at the range does you no good, as the barrel is too hot. Best advice is to take it home and allow it to cool down, then drop a military issue M16 steel cleaning rod down the bore from the muzzle end and then tap the end of the rod with a hammer. A firm tap should pop the case out.

If not, you might try putting the whole upper in the freezer for a few hours then repeating the above.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Wolf ammo jamming in an AR ?
Maybe somebody put a Spell on your rifle.......

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Bore solvent, CLP then Carb cleaner did it.  

Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#11]
So what are you going to do with the rest of the Wolf ammo that you own?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I think I only have about 40-50 rounds left.  I hardly ever shoot Wolf but I bought this gun from some other guy and he gave me over 300 rounds of it with the gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I would never put that shit in my gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#14]
It would be ironic if Wolf switched to a case coating that really did melt after all the stuck cases blamed on the lacquer coating that didn't melt. Either that or they have gone back to the same red neck sealant that caused the problem to begin with...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I would use Kroil and a 3/16 brass rod from your local welding supply!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:45:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Just curious is this a chrome chaimber?  I here about this often but have never seen it in mine.  I'm begining to wonder if most of the Voodo about wolf is from the non chrome world.  That makes sense when you think about it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You know you do....you're a closet Wolf kinda guy.....you can admit it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
[/quote

What I want to know is where the hell is the comments from the I have shot 10,000 rounds of this shit  without a failure it must be your rifle crowd?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Got a call a couple of days ago from a highly competent gunsmith I know. A customer had a Wolf round semi-KB in his AR; blew the mag to shreds and screwed up the bolt but, the receivers seem to be OK. He says that blown case absolutely will not come out of the chamber; not with solvent, not with heat, not with cold, no damned way. It's in there for keeps.

SD
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Just curious is this a chrome chaimber?  I here about this often but have never seen it in mine.  I'm begining to wonder if most of the Voodo about wolf is from the non chrome world.  That makes sense when you think about it.

Chrome chamber.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Well......not thousands of rounds but in the realm of 1200 or so. Brown bear, Silver Bear, Barnaul, Golden Bear, Wolf lacquer and Polymere coated..............nary a problem. Ammetec flat top, 16" Moly barrel. Shot 20 rnds rapid fire, let it sit for twenty minutes, another 20 rapid.....no problem. Thanks Warren for an AR that works.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top