Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 12:23:35 AM EDT
The next time you guys get buyers remorse for getting  a case of Ammo think of us in Hawaii and you will feel better.

The dealers here don't carry much of a selection here. You can get junk Russian rounds for double the price, or premium rounds meant to be shot from a match rifle or bolt action. Once in a great while they will bring in some American Eagle rounds..maybe 4 boxes or so (Just Kidding, but it seems that way when you want to get a good stash) but even then they'll charge you $10.00 + for a box of 20. THAT'S TWENTY (20) ROUNDS FOLKS! 50 cents a round seems a little expensive to me....LOL!

The other option is to bring a pallet in. It ain't so bad if you get a bunch of buddies together, but it ends up the same price as ya'll pay on the Mainland once it's here.  And it's not that easy to come up with $350.00 - $500.00 (ea.) for bullets all at once every time someone wants to make a pallet order. Ah...the joy of living on a rock in the middle of the Pacific!hin
Have a great weekend!

E
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:28:31 AM EDT
[#1]
reload ?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:37:56 AM EDT
[#2]
350-500 bucks for a pallet?  How many rounds is that, and what kind?  Sounds cheap, if it's the pallets i'm thinking of.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#3]
That's $350.00 - $500.00 EACH GUY. No sense in only getting a 1000 rounds per caliber you know? I'll order .45cal,  9mm,  .30cal, 7.62 X 39, sometimes 12GA. and even .22 LR at times.
(And now .223 cal.) My buddy's will order .40cal.  .308cal., etc.etc.etc enough to make a pallet shipment.

I personally don't like to use reloads. I never did. Some of my friends do and they like it, but for me? I only shoot factory loads. Always have, always will.  Not to mention how hard it is to get quality (jacketed) bullet heads here too. It's all about the most you can get for the cheapest price here, so most of the stuff the dealers carry here is BUDGET anyway.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 3:46:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is the reason that reloading isn't much better than buying whole ammo:  Weight of lead and hazardous materials charges for powder.  Like Atreides says, unless you buy by the pallet (who the hell can afford that?), you will get stuck with the hazmat or weight fees for the lead.  Believe me, I've tried it.  It DOES NOT WORK in the PRH.

Atreides, what I usually do is wait for the sales, and then stock up.  A few months ago Young Guns on Mapunapuna street had a sale on XM193 Lake city Lot 46 for $99.99 a case of 500.  That is the cheapest I have found quality .223 rounds on Oahu.  They were allowing the purchase of one case per customer, per day for month.  I bought as much as I could afford:  10 cases.  After the third or fourth day in a row, they began to expect me at lunch.  Check each ammo outlet on a constant interval: Sports Authority, Magnum, Young Guns, WGS, and you will find deals.  Then, stock up.  Unless I have already depleted their stock.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Wassup Brah! I stay on the Big Island...far from civilization. LOL! That's why it's so hard for me. At least on Oahu you have a choice of where to go.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:08:29 AM EDT
[#6]
You guys ever come to the mainland? Buy a load and take it home. Ship it home. Order it shipped from ammoman or somebody. Get your club to buy and sell smaller lots. Be innovative. Vote. Campaign and vote.

I understand freight but That's the price you pay to live in paradise.

PigPen
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:11:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Does sports Athority run decent prices there.  The one here I got Win 9mm at $4.49 per 50 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Does sports Athority run decent prices there.  The one here I got Win 9mm at $4.49 per 50 rounds.

that's an awesome price.  The cheapest for Win 9mm around here is, $10.xx for 100 rounds @ Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Reloading is expensive in Hawaii

For example:
Varget powder costs either $26.99 per pound or $180.00 for 8 pounds in the stores while 1000 FMJ 223 bullets cost $33+$20 in shipping from MidwayUSA to Hawaii.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:46:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Uh...we are kinda behind things here on the Big Island. We don't have a Sports Authority, in fact, we just got a Checkers Auto parts open here a couple of months ago. We have Wal-Mart on my side of the Island, but the closest K-Mart is a 5 hour round trip away. LOL!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:47:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Altreides,
Share your frustrations.  Are you on the Big Island?
Pre 9/11, traveling to Oahu & back to pick up ammo, etc. wasn't too bad.  It's impossible now with the price of airfare, and the restrictions they impose.
Maybe we'll meet at BIGC
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:23:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey B!

I am on the Big Island. I'll shoot you am PM.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:39:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll be shooting my very first hi-power match next month at the BIGC range-maybe I'll see you.  Hopefully I'll place a few rounds on the paper
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top