Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/3/2004 4:21:55 PM EDT
My brother who is a non-shooter (nothing for the last 10-12 years anyway)  has  several rounds that he would like to destroy or render safe so that he can just throw then away with the trash.    Besides the obvious, fun way of shooting them, how else can you destroy old ammo?  TIA.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My brother who is a non-shooter (nothing for the last 10-12 years anyway)  has  several rounds that he would like to destroy or render safe so that he can just throw then away with the trash.    Besides the obvious, fun way of shooting them, how else can you destroy old ammo?  TIA.

Rip the bullet out and dump out the powder.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#2]
primers?
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Would soaking the whole lot, intact in a can of light oil work?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Just send them to me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
clean and serviceable?  give to someone who will appreciate them

unuseable? pull bullets, empty powder
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Shoot it...
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Have your brother bring  it to the local PD station. He'll feel good and they'll just divy it up if its useable or properly dispose of it.  Or better yet have him give it to you to take care of .  (jeez now that I have the ammo I need a couple new guns to shoot it with)
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Pull the bullet out and pile the gunpowder up and burn it!!!That stuff will burn like hell!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#10]
If its non-milspec ammo, just spray it with WD-40 and throw it in the trashcan.  The WD will creep around the primer and render it inop.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the info guys.  I'll pass the wisdom along to my brother.  Thanks again.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Pull the bullet out and pile the gunpowder up and burn it!!!That stuff will burn like hell!!!

What he said - the other guys didn't mention the obvious - but you have to get rid of the powder, and that is as easy as burning.  As long as you are talking about reasonable amounts, it shouldn't be too dangerous - just make a trail like in the old cartoons and set it ablaze.  If it is small enough, make a pile.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 1:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pull the bullet out and pile the gunpowder up and burn it!!!That stuff will burn like hell!!!hr

What he said - the other guys didn't mention the obvious - but you have to get rid of the powder, and that is as easy as burning.  As long as you are talking about reasonable amounts, it shouldn't be too dangerous - just make a trail like in the old cartoons and set it ablaze.  If it is small enough, make a pile.

Yeah, I've burned my share of FFFF powder.  I use it for Large Model Rocket ejection charges (used to eject/deploy the parachute/recovery system).  My other loud, stinky, expensive pastime.  href=www.tripoli.org/
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:31:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, You have had some good (and some ho-hum) suggestions but to my way of thinking, none of them is optimal.

Nothing beats shooting the stuff. Just take them out and fire them at the ground if nothing else. If you do not have a firearm of this caliber and can't get one, give the cartridges away to someone who does have. This method disposes of the entire cartridge's explosive ability including the primer.

Remember, if you pull the bullets and dump the powder, you still have the primer. Do not try to knock/punch it out with a nail or something!! Outside of the firearm, the primer will become a projectile itself!!

IMHO the best way is to fire them.

Second best way is to give them to some one who will fire them.

Third way is to pull the bullets (if you know how and have equiptment), dump the powder (anywhere-yard, garbage can, anywhere) and then fire the primer. This is a distant third. Mostly because you are asking tells me that you do not know and understand how to safely do this..................If you did you would not have to ask.............no disrespect intended.

To a large degree, the answer depends on how many we are talking about. I would not put a lot of unfired powder into the garbage can...........it might get ignited somehow. You might also give some thought to the powder falling into the wrong hands like kids or novices..............I like strewing it in tne yard. If there are a lot (greater than 100 rounds then give them away (somebody will want them)).

I do hope this helps.

PigPen
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:34:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Sell it on the EE cheap.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:34:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Im wondering what to do with a bunch of bad Amerc rounds I have here.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top