PACKAGED BY FEDERAL
USGI CONTRACT AMMO
50 RD. BOXES
20 BOXES TO CARDBOARD CASE
BRAND NEW AMMO

The headstamp says:

TOP: FC 01
Bottom: Match

I want .45 ball ammo that is hotter than Winchester White Box (WWB) and is new production.

1) Does the 01 stand for year of manufacture?
2) Does anyone know how hot it is compared to WWB?
3) What is 'match' ammo?

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 3:42:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:27:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Federal has marketed ammo like this before. It has been outstanding ammo. The crimp [ clue ]  is exactly the same as their AE brand, which is very good.

New headstamp on this load but packaged exactly as previous lots which I have been shooting for years with first rate results.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:32:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the XM1911 sealed at the case mouth?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I dunno, but I'll let you know when I get my case of 1k next week!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:48:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dunno, but I'll let you know when I get my case of 1k next week!

I've got a case arriving TODAY! WOOHOO!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 6:05:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's a pic of some of the Mil 45 I get issued for competition.

45 Match Ball is used for competition " LEG Matches " and Federal has the latest contract for the military, it is essentially Ball ammo loaded to tighter specifications for accuracy and consistency.

GI issue 45 Ball / Match Ball is loaded hotter than generic Winchester White Box. TZZ 87 M1911 BALL chrono's at +900 fps. The Federal Match Ball falls on the harsh side IMOP and doesn't shoot as good as WCC98 or TZZ Match Ball in my hardball gun.

Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered 1000 rounds about 2 weeks ago, and have another 2000 rounds heading in next week....
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:46:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Got mine the other day and it is headstamped FC 03 Match, havn't gotten to shoot any yet though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
For top quality hot .45acp, go to AIM, and look at their MFS .45acp.  It is about the best you will find, and it is about 130fps faster than the Winchester.  The +P is even hotter, but I have not tried it.

We sell this stuff as fast as we can get it with people constanly telling us how great it is.  I have shot it and found it to be pretty dam goos as well.

I think I'll try this.  Thanks for the head-up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I got mine today....I won't get to shoot it anytime soon though, seeing as how I DON'T HAVE A 1911 YET!!!!  

[Homer]Mmmmm, look at the pretty sealant....agghgghghhhh![/Homer]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#11]
So is this stuff any good or not . It says Match on the brass but not on the box . What up ??
$12.90 per box delivered is an ok price I guess .    10 boxes at $129 .
The MFS stuff from aim is $9 per box but shipping is extra . Anyone know what Aim charges for shipping ??

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#12]
If the price is close.... I will choose the domestic ammo manufacturer.  If you have any sort of ammo related failure in your prized 1911.... who do you think will be more likely to take care of you, Federal, or some company in Hungary (MFS)?

I got 1000 rounds of this match Federal ball.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
who do you think will be more likely to take care of you, Federal, or some company in Hungary (MFS)?

MFS is a HUGE European ammo maker.

Federal is owned by a German consortium that buys out other companies and sucks them dry.

For the quality, I would buy the MFS. YMMV

I went ahead and ordered some of the Federal.  My concern was that it would not be 03 manufacture as I was looking for good quality FMJ ammo for my Sig P220.  Knowing that it might be older, I still bought some and it turns out to be 03 manufacture so I lucked out.  I am using 4th Generation hollow-point ammo for my CCW load but I still have this unexplainable urge to have new manufacture high quality FMJ around as well.

As far as MFS, I'm a little biased since my parents are from Hungary, escaping in 1969.  I've been there many times and speak the language fluently.  Hungarians have a tendency to produce high quality goods.  I have a beautiful Hungarian underfolder and it's very well made.  I am still going to order some of their .45 because of my bias and what I've read about their ammo.  As people recommend around here:  Get both!

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top