Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2004 8:55:02 AM EDT
Very simple: AP ammunition is banned at my range, because they're afraid riochets will end up hitting people when they're shooting at the 50 meter targets.

I realize that M855, even though it's technically ball ammunition, is incorrectly assumed by many to be "armor piercing" probably because of the fact it that the SS-109 bullet has a hardened steel tip and more so because people at gun stores like to say it's armor piercing so more people will want to buy it. One store I bought ammo from actually tried that line on me, and I just nodded.

Should I bother bringing this to the range I go to, or should I go through the trouble to get in touch with the range administrator just to be safe?

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, I'm contacting them now. I was also interested in other people's experiences using M855 and whether or not ranges referred to it as AP.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#3]
i tried being the good guy and asked if i could bring the 855 to my range.  with a wink, they said no because AP is not allowed.  the concern was if they let the 855 in, then someone with real AP would say they should be able to bring theirs.  i got the impression that no one would know i had the 855 in my mags and all would be ok.  i don't use it at a public range.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
i didnt think m855 was considered armor piercing?
Its just a steel penetrator inside the bullet...
either way
I love that stuff and its what I sighted my AR to
as for richochets at 50 meters
I dont think thats possible is it?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Almost all 5.56m ammo richochet if it hits something hard.  Not just M855.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Under these circumstances, I would check with the range first.

-Troy

I'm sure if he explains that "we" said it was ok to the range old fart, he'll be good to go!
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top