Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2004 12:27:03 PM EDT
Will this print well with a 24" bbl with a 1:9 twist?  It's just plinking ammo but I like my plinking as accurate as possible :)
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
absou-f-ingloutly  prints under moa out of my rifle, and it has 1/8 twist.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
You may get very good results with it, many do. If not satisfied with it however, you might give the 52 gr Black Hills match stuff a try. It's often another favorite as well. And you can get it in remanufactured flavor if you prefer going easier on the wallet, but still like good quality. If longer range accuracy is a must, you might check out some of the heavier bullets. Those will help somewhat with wind drift.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You may get very good results with it, many do. If not satisfied with it however, you might give the 52 gr Black Hills match stuff a try. It's often another favorite as well. And you can get it in remanufactured flavor if you prefer going easier on the wallet, but still like good quality. If longer range accuracy is a must, you might check out some of the heavier bullets. Those will help somewhat with wind drift.

Key words in the original post:  Plinking Ammo.

Black Hills != plinking ammo.  GREAT stuff, but pricey pricey.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The Black Hills re-man isn't all that expensive. Certainly not enough to cause me much concern. But yeah, it tends to run a bit more than Winny white box  value packs. I guess I just have a Black Hills bias toward rifle ammo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]
The Stuff marked "223 REM 45GR JHP VARMINT"   "USA2232" shoots great out of all my bushmaster 1/9 guns. My 20" will go about 7/8 or 1" @ 100 if I do my part
I have tried several weights of  BH and some shot almost as good but none better. For the life of me I can't
find my records of this trial and can't remember if I had any 52 although I recall I did try 55
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to be able to write my name on a calm day with 45gr at 100yds for plinking fun, but I will settle for MOA before I dump 50% more dough into the overall package, or sacrifice bullet flexibility.  62gr is probably the heaviest I'd ever shoot and I understand 1:9 stabilizes it just fine.

Remember I have 24" of bbl to work with so I may have more velocity than some, but if 1:8 still doesn't result in flyers I figure it'll be OK.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top