Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2004 6:52:09 AM EDT
My company furnishes us 2,000 round boxes of loose LC 5.56mm 62 gr. composite core ammo marked "Training Only." We're also supplied with 62 gr. green tip for duty ammo. Any idea if this "training only" ammo is ballistically similar to the SS109 green tip 62gr. load? Similar enough to where I can shoot and zero with the training ammo and carry the green tip?
I don't have access to a chrono, etc.
Thanks.

JayCeeNC
Kirkuk, Iraq
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the box also marked XM855PD?  Because if it is, then it's Lake City M855 that didn't meet the military QC Specs, most likely because of poor/lack of primer sealant.  It is marked "For Training Use Only" so that Federal may sell it to civilians.  Minus primer sealant, this should be exactly the same round you guys are issued, some of the lots had the green tips, some don't, the box I purchased did.  So balistically this should be the same round, and your zero should not be different.  I hope this is info your looking for, and I'm sure someone else will chime in if I've given you incorrect information.  Oh and BTW, good luck and stay safe over there, get home soon.....

CT
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#2]
So while there is no factual basis for any of this, popular belief in this forum is that the above is accurate.  We don't know if it meets military spec or not.  If it doesn't, we don't know exactly why not.  We don't know what the policy is on selling ammunition to civilian market and we don't know why the sans green tips on some.  I say this because it is repeated so often that we sometimes start of believe it to be entirely true when in fact, no one has rec'd a definite answer.  I know someone is working on getting us the real facts from Lake City or Federal.  In the meantime, you're probably ok with those rounds (I have about 2,000 of them myself and they are fine).

So you might want to check out a few earlier threads where this has been discussed previously, especially about the PD part meaning "police department?"
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:54:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info, guys.
CT_AR, it's not marked XM855PD on the box. In fact, other than the info I gave, there are no markings on the box. I've got about 800 rds thru my M4, both semi and full auto, haven't had a problem with any of it, zero malfunctions. I was carrying it for duty ammo, but we got a ton of green tip in, so thought I'd switch. I'll zero with green tip and shoot this stuff for training/practice.

That means I now have to download 20 magazines...
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Good idea man, but if you need to use this stuff, at least you know it's gonna go bang every time.....and once again, good luck, glad we could help.....

CT
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:22:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Why the sad face?....

I would just put her on AUTO and download it real fast!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why the sad face?....

I would just put her on AUTO and download it real fast!

That's exactly what's on the agenda for tomorrow morning!
Some firing from vehicle drills, ambush right/left drills, disabled vehicle drills, hmmm...that oughta eat up about 20 mags if I do it right...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:20:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I wouldn't recommend using M855 as a duty load anyway, due to its overall poor performance.
-Troy

I have no other option.
Thanks for the response and the info, Troy.

John Appel
Kirkuk, Iraq
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:20:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wouldn't recommend using M855 as a duty load anyway, due to its overall poor performance.
-Troy

I have no other option.
Thanks for the response and the info, Troy.

John Appel
Kirkuk, Iraq

I understand, but if you can get your hands on some M193 over there somehow, you'll be happier.  14.5" M4s have a fragmentation range of only 15-45m with M855 (this varies so much due to slight manufacturing variations in the bullet's construction), whereas a 20" M16A2/A4 has 120-150m fragmentation range.  
-Troy

I'm issued a Bushmaster M4, w/14.5" bbl.
If I can trade for some M193 I'll do it, but right now we've got about 20,000 rds of M855.
And 3300 rds of M856 Tracer, which I'm trying to forget about.
And 12,000 rds of 7.62x39, even though we don't carry our AK's anymore.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top