Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/18/2004 5:35:59 AM EDT
Just signed up today.  I have been reading for a while, and am impressed with the depth of knowledge here.  So, were is my question.  I saw some Lake City .308 the other day...01, 02 and 03.  It was loose and marked: "For Training Only".  It appeared to be in excellent condition.  Is this stuff any good?  Is $125.00/500 a decent price?
I didn't understand the "For Training Only" designation.  Is this sub-standard ammo, or just not packed properly to meet issue specs.?
I plan on reloading this stuff and thought it would be a good source of brass.
Any info would be appreciated.
Best,
TnNuc
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe that in previous discussions about .223 ammo marked "For Training Use Only," it was mentioned that these were factory rejects, usually for inadequate sealant around the primer. In other words - it should be fine for shooting unless you're going swimming with it.

The most popular .308 ammo out there is Portugese and Australian .308 surplus. Case prices per 1000 are around the $150-160 mark. I don't know if the Port can be reloaded though. The cases I looked at after shooting were Berdan primed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:55:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I sure hope we can get a factual answer about this.  Labeling this ammo as "factory rejects" without knowing for sure why this ammo is the way it is....is bad.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#3]
welcome to the board!

I'll tell yah, I got an ass load of the Australian .308 surplus, and it is some pretty gopd stuff.  It's 144 grain, a bit light, but it gives good groups, goes bang every time and my FAL's eat it up.

My understading of the LC .308 "For Training Use Only," is as Zhukov mentioned in his post....but who really knows.

With that, I get the Aussie stuff...I've fired > 500 rds and never had a prob - Knock on wood
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Where did you see this ammo, MAN?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top