Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2004 5:31:10 PM EDT
I am building up a commando clone to be completed on the 14th of sept. I understand the reduced velocity of M193 out of that lentgh barrel will severely dimish its effectiveness. I have thought about loading up some 64gr powerpoints, I am guessing they would still work at the lowered speed.
I also have a bunch of 69gr matchkings, will they fragment at the velocities expected from such a short barrel?

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks all!
Gary
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
68 bthp.  What does everyone else think.  good fragmenting bullet, plus a little velocity.  Otherwise I'd say a soft point but I'd get flamed for it.  So I'm not going to say it, he he he he he .
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are gonna use this for defense, the matchking may be your best bet, but dont count on anything being very effective. Now if you've got a 1/7 barrel, the 77gr loading works fine to quite a distance.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
68 bthp.  What does everyone else think.  good fragmenting bullet,.

I'd disagree with this choice.  Dr Roberts has indicated the 68gr does not work well out of short barrels - his recommendation was it was a decent round for barrels 14.5" and longer with a 1:9 twist.

Does anyone have the MV of the Black Hills 68gr load?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#6]
What should a11.5" barrel be fed?

Let's see, the way I figure it another 8.5"
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am building up a commando clone to be completed on the 14th of sept. I understand the reduced velocity of M193 out of that lentgh barrel will severely dimish its effectiveness. I have thought about loading up some 64gr powerpoints, I am guessing they would still work at the lowered speed.
I also have a bunch of 69gr matchkings, will they fragment at the velocities expected from such a short barrel?

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks all!
Gary

Are you doing a registered SBR ? or are you doing the 5.5" permenently attached flash hider ?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Are you doing a registered SBR ? or are you doing the 5.5" permenently attached flash hider ?

Permanently attached, Maybe in the future I will try a SBR but not yet.

Also I do not plan to use this as a serious rifle, it is going to be a plinker/running assault carbine courses but I am very curious and would like to know just in case it ever does get called into service for more dangerous duties.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Also I do not plan to use this as a serious rifle, it is going to be a plinker/running assault carbine courses but I am very curious and would like to know just in case it ever does get called into service for more dangerous duties.

Just use plain old 55gr loads, and the occassional 52/55gr HP for those fun rifle matches.  My 1989 era Bushmaster 11.5" with a cheap 3-9x40 will do 1  1/2" at 100yd.  I pulled a few IPSC upper A/B hits at 100+ with the irons.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:51:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Permanently attached, Maybe in the future I will try a SBR but not yet.

If you think it may need to be used for serious duties get a longer barrel. An 11.5" is only usefull if its actually 11.5". The 11.5" + 5.5" is not meant to be a serious rifle it's "cool factor only" Best to go with a "cool" 11.5" and a "SHTF" 16" or 20" even.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:11:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If you are gonna use this for defense, the matchking may be your best bet, but dont count on anything being very effective. Now if you've got a 1/7 barrel, the 77gr loading works fine to quite a distance.

i agree
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top