Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2004 7:27:17 PM EDT
100 GR 223 ammo,Is there such an animal availible to the public?

Anyone have a link if it is??

thank you

Chris
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.  I asked brouhaha about this a few months back - he and tat tested some, with great effects at cqb distances.  Beyond that, however, the bullet had a tremendous rainbow pattern, making it a rather poor general purpose round.

So, the round is not available, was insanely expensive for the few rounds that were produced, and only works well in very close ranges (like <50m, IIRC).  As I remember, brouhaha felt that the 77g NATO loading was about the best possible all-around bullet for 5.56.

All of this is as I remember; can't find my original thread.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
"Rainbow pattern" LOL Scary!!

Thanks for the information Feeding Cannibal.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:23:41 AM EDT
[#3]
When will the nonsense stop?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#4]
A 77gr SMK properly seated just fits into a mag and an 80gr SMK won't fit into a mag.  I highly doubt you would be able to seat a 100gr bullet into a case and have it fit into a mag.  Plus, I doubt that most AR owners would want to shoot single round bullets.  What's the fun in shooting just one bullet, then having to reload.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A 77gr SMK properly seated just fits into a mag and an 80gr SMK won't fit into a mag.  I highly doubt you would be able to seat a 100gr bullet into a case and have it fit into a mag.  Plus, I doubt that most AR owners would want to shoot single round bullets.  What's the fun in shooting just one bullet, then having to reload.

The tested 100gr round was magazine length.  The bullet was about an inch long, but the OAL was just a bit longer than a M193 round.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Look HERE, about halfway down the page in the first paragraph under the heading "Lessons Learned and Such Stuff". The author (Michael Harries) describes using a 110 gr. load called the ".223 Magnum". Anyone know what he is referring to? He makes a reference to a 110 gr. .30 cal. bullet, but a 110 gr. round at 2900 fps. doesn't seem feasible from a .223.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The tested 100gr round was magazine length.  The bullet was about an inch long, but the OAL was just a bit longer than a M193 round.

Any links to this data/testing?  I'd like to read up on it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:07:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

www.ammo-oracle.com, It's tacked to the top of the "Ammunition Forum", the sneaky hiding devils.......NOT!

Mike
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.ammo-oracle.com, It's tacked to the top of the "Ammunition Forum", the sneaky hiding devils.......NOT!

Mike

I must be missing something, because I don't see any data or test results of 100+ grain ammo in the ammo-oracle other than a brief mention of the 100g which I summarized above.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I think a company called "Subsonic Munitions' manufactures 90 and 120 grain tungsten core fragmenting ammo for supressed AR's. The 90 grain cycles the action the 120 grain doesn't. It costly.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By mr_wilson

Mike

Oh, ya, right out in the open.  How did I miss it?

Is someone willing to divulge the load specifics on these 100gr mag length loads?  Wouldn't mind trying a few.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 10:58:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:23:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By mr_wilson

Mike

Oh, ya, right out in the open.  How did I miss it?

Is someone willing to divulge the load specifics on these 100gr mag length loads?  Wouldn't mind trying a few.

As per forum rules, no reloading data in here.  Sorry.  Someone might be willing in the reloading forum though.

Official request made.

Reloading Forum

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top