Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 11:42:05 AM EDT
Has anyone tried the frangible USGI 50 grain bullet stuff that Ammoman is selling?  Just trying to find out if it would be a good varmit round.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Prolly work good , unless the chucks are wearin Vests.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
How close do you reckin' you could shoot armor gongs with this crazy ammo?
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:31:37 AM EDT
[#3]
How CLOSE, I say?
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:56:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder how this would compare to the Winchester 45 grain varmit ammo.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I wonder how this would compare to the Winchester 45 grain varmit ammo.

It's a lot less expensive...

Mike
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Okay, what the heck is this stuff? Any AR15 uber tests been done on it?

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#7]
DOn't know how accurate it is.  looks like training ammo to me, I'd stick to off the shelf 45 or 50 gr. for vermin.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Well I guess I'm going to have to find out.  Just ordered a can from ammoman.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Frangible ammo is primarily for training. Shooting steel targets at close range is what it is specifically for. I have not shot frangible rifle ammo, but I have shot a shit-load of frangible pistol ammo. The ammo turns to dust when it hits objects greater than a certain hardness. Anything softer, and it stays intact. This allows one to shoot at reactive steel steel targets without worry of bullet back-splatter or ricocheting bullet jackets. The pistol rounds I shot were made of crushed copper. All around the targets was this brown copper dust.

Anyway, the stuff is expensive, and unless you need it for certain range requirements, there is no advantage over regular ammo. One other thing, frangible ammo is fairly un-common on the open market, so, if you plan on using this stuff, pick some up for later.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:34:31 AM EDT
[#10]
The rifle ammo appears to have a jacket around the frangible material which makes me wonder how close to steel it can safely be fired and such and what not.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The rifle ammo appears to have a jacket around the frangible material which makes me wonder how close to steel it can safely be fired and such and what not.

Mark,

Good question. All of the frangible pistol ammo I have used has no jacket. It is just a slug made of fused crushed copper. When firing at contact range against steel targets, all you feel is puffs of powder......
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Any AR15 uber tests been done on it?

Not yet, but I'm thinking about getting some to play with.  I'll have to confer with my partner.  I *highly* doubt it would be a gelatin test, as that would be fairly pointless.  This stuff wasn't designed for defensive use.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#13]
feeding issues?

How soft is the frangible cone on the tip?   Looks like it might be pretty soft based on the minor dents in the picture.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm curious what it would do to a ground squirrel, if anything, or if it's even accurate enough.

How much was it?  Edit:  Just looked,  $.24 per round (for 820 rounds). If it performed like Winchester 45gr JHP it might be worth it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone that has any of this ammo, would you be interested in turning loose of a box of it?   My dad and I have been writing a reference manual for .223 and .50 Cal BMG, and we also collect these calibers.  Ammoman wont sell just a box......so any help would be appreciated.  Let me know.....Thanks

Ron
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 6:09:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Where you at, Cleatus?  I'm trying to talk myself into buying some.  If Lotboy will split some with me, I'll do it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#17]
What's sad is I may be limited to shooting this on base (Edwards AFB) since we were just recently limited to 5.56mm MAX for caliber size and it looks like AF range rules here may go frangible ammo only!!

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top