Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 8:50:09 AM EDT
We read that the cannelure can facilitate the fragmention of the 56 gr M193 bullet.  Looking at the data from the fragmentation experiments #5 and #6, the 75 and 77 grain bullets seem to have similar neck lengths whether they have cannelure's or not.  

I would hypothesize by the data that my adding a cannelure to my home brewed zombie ammo with either the 75 or 77 grainer, it will NOT facilitate fragmentation.  But my hunch says it won't hurt.

Any opinions?

Big Al

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Troy,

I agree with you whole heartedly.  I'm thinking that as the distance to the target increases and fragmentation velocities are reduced, the presence of a cannelure will help with the fragmentation.  At least it might weaken the already pretty thin jacket at that point and facilitate what ever framentation could occur at a lower velocity than a bullet sans the cannelure.

Looking at Fakler's pictures of the M193 bullets that don't break in half at 2395 fps but do break (right at the cannelure)at 2523 or faster.

Bear with me.  I'm thinking this up as I go.[;)]

Big Al
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top