Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2003 7:15:01 PM EDT
whats the diff. between a 75 grs. tap and a hornady 75grs. Match moly?  especially the cennelure?  thanks  
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Tha TAP is loaded quite a bit hotter.  I've been hearing conflicting information on the cannelure, so I'll leave that one alone for now.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Brouhaha - Tap is loaded to SAMMI spec and to Military velocities.  If the dept orders the military velocity stuff they have to sign a form indicating the ammo will only be used in weapon with military (M16) chambers.

The match moly bullet is the same bullet, only with a Moly coating.  IIRC Dr Roberst tests showed the Penetration of the Moly Match to be an inch less than the non-moly version.  Penetration is 'good enough' at 12.2".
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Forest,

They may be loaded to SAAMI, but the velocity is definitely different.

Admittedly, I haven't tested the moly, but the TAP 75 chronoed between 100 and 150fps faster than the 75gr Match loads.

Although, it's possible this was a fluke.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#4]
who's tap.The stuff from hornady or the BH 75gr that uses the same bullet,if i may?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I think what forrest is saying is there might be 2 spec loadings, one SAMMI that is without fuss and one with a hotter Mil type pressure loading requiring the dept. that orders it to acknowledge the pressure difference.

That's what I would infer by
[I] If the dept orders the military velocity stuff they have to sign a form indicating the ammo will only be used in weapon with military (M16) chambers.[/I]

Which suggests it's something apart from a SAMMI spec loading.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:21:10 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the replies...the main reason why i ask this is that the Match Moly 75grs. is the only stuff available in my area.  and im planning to get this for my SPR...and also if this match moly has a cannelure so that i will not worry about the bullet setback in the magazine.   thanks
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think what forrest is saying is there might be 2 spec loadings, one SAMMI that is without fuss and one with a hotter Mil type pressure loading requiring the dept. that orders it to acknowledge the pressure difference.
Which suggests it's something apart from a SAMMI spec loading.
View Quote

That is correct.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Forest,

I have both, the mil load and the SAAMI load.  The SAAMI load is the one I was saying was loaded hotter than the Match.  It's possible that the ones I chrono'd were a bad lot, however (the match being underloaded or the TAP being overloaded).

The mil load is WAY hotter than the match.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Well Brou then its time for some testing ([:D] Wee!).

Now I just have to get my hands on some TAP to reproduce your tests.  Well I'm heading out to Pittsburgh this spring I know a place out there that will sell it to me.

BTW did you test the flash of the SAMMI spec TAP vs the BH 75gr OTM?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
BTW did you test the flash of the SAMMI spec TAP vs the BH 75gr OTM?
View Quote

Test away!  I'd love to know if I just had a bad lot.  Hopefully I still have the data around here.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top