Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2003 2:46:22 PM EDT
I don't know if you guys have seen the latest Shotgun News, but J&G is showing .308 ammo for soemthing like $95 or $100/1000 rounds.  I can't recall exactly off the top of my head since my copy is 20 miles away, but I do know it doesn't say who made the stuff.  

Anyway, this seems to be dirt cheap, and I'm betting there is something wrong with this ammo.  The closest thing I can find on their website is a bit pricer and they admit it to be Indian, which I understand is bad, though they claim to cull out the bad ammo.  Here's what their site says regarding that:

308 Indian FMJ, 500 rd cases. M80 FMJ ball, brass case, boxer primer, non-corrosive, (NOTE, Some of this ammo was imported with some bullet seating problems, we have inspected and sorted all the ammo to weed out any defects. We have tested it w/o error in FAL, G3, and bolt actions.) ----- $59.95

Anybody known if the stuff in SGN is the same as this Indian on their website?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#1]
From the description, it seems like it's the infamous .308 made in India, where I have heard bad stories about it. Since I have not tried it before I can't really comment on the ammo quality. But for surplus ammo, use them at your own risk anyway.

By the way, AIM is selling Portuguese .308 again, 1000 for $139.5 plus shipping. This so far is the best .308 surplus second to Hirtenburger that I have shot, see link
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/_308.html
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah the Jg sales ammo is Indian. On their web site they said they sorted the ammo and ditched the bad stuff. I dont recall any stories about kabooms with this 308 just that alot of the bullets were not seated properly or bent.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The J&G .308 is definitely Indian M80 Ball 148gr FMJ in 10 round plastic packs with a date of 1986.  Some have been misreading the brass and calling it 1998 production.  J&G reportedly has 6.5 million rounds of this stuff.  We've got some and are in the process of evaluating it.  The "FAL Forum" is loaded with literally hundreds of negative postings and numerous pictures concerning this particular surplus.  See their "Ammo FAQs" thread under the ammunition section.

http://www.falfiles.com/forum/index.php?s=
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone seen the pictures of this stuff ? It's brutal !!

God cried the day they ran out of British Radway surplus .308.( I thank him that I stocked up )
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 8:20:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I pulled the bullets on some of this ammo and measured the components.  The powder charges varied from 43.5 grains to 46.2 grains.  There is allot of interest in this stuff over the FAL files.  To read more of the analysis go to:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95475
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, guys.  Just wanted to double check.  I think the extra price for SA, Port., or Aussie is worth it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, the Indian stuff from what I've read and seen is bad news. Safety first.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top