Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2003 12:02:38 PM EDT
A friend of mine purchased a batch of this ammo. The necks split on every case when fired. Should He stop shooting this ammo? The rest of the brass loos Ok upon Firing, just the neck splits. I have never seen anything like it before.

I recently also bought a bit of The Turkish 8mm ammo but haven't had a chance to send any down range. I did find 1 cartrige with the neck split on it while the ammo over.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had some 1947 like that.  It was split straight out of the bandoliers.  I fired it if the split didn't go past the neck, but culled it and broke it down for components if the split was larger.  It fired OK, except for a few duds.  Not accurate by any means, but it didn't hurt anything.  Don't get the 1947 anymore if that's what you got.  I've fired 1939, 1945, 1947 and 1950 and it's all OK except for the 1947.  It's junk.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I've shot over 8 cases of this stuff the past few months.  Have another 3 cases linked up all ready for blasting.  The worst I had was a case of '42 that had 30% duds.  Seems the year doesn't really make a difference as someone else with a '42 case was shooting fine.  Had a case of '51 that had splits in the neck, shoulder, and body, right out of a sealed case.  Another case of '33 that looked and smelled bad but was 100% sure fire.  Go figure.

Have your friend with the neck splits try another batch or a different brand.  Maybe his chamber has become out of spec.  A headspace check wouldn't hurt either as bolts on old guns sometimes get swapped.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
1947 should really be avoided at all costs.  Quality control was non-existant in that year.

I have had a few split necks here and there, but the ammo is loaded very hot, even by European standards.  The brass is old, and who knows how it was stored before being packed.

Unless it goes beyond the neck don't worry about it if your rifle is in good shape.

I find the Turk very accurate in most of my mausers.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The crimp really damages the neck, making it split easily.  No problems, since we aren't going to reload this.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top