Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/27/2003 7:50:52 AM EDT
Please add your personal experience with Remington and UMC branded ammunition to this thread. When you do, please give information about:
1) Ammunition used
2) Firearm used in
3) Approximate number of rounds fired.

From RussB's post out of a 16" barrel:
Velocity (55gr): 2857fps, StdDev=59fps

Let's limit this to .223/5.56 ammunition, since this is an AR-15 forum. No offense to the guys with AR's in other calibers, but we all know that .223 chamberings are the most sensitive.

I am trying to solicit only information about your PERSONAL experience with this ammunition. If you haven't used it, then please don't clutter up the thread. Information about proper functioning (or lack thereof) is obviously the most important, but factors such as the accuracy or other peculiarities you've noticed are informative also. If you have had problems with this ammo which were severe enough to cause you to stop using this ammo, then please describe them. And one more minor request: keep your reviews objective.

This post is part of a larger information-gathering effort I'm trying to start about ALL ammunition popular in AR's:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=169729.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Yay!  I'm the first to hit this poll...is that a good thing?  

Ok, on to the subject here.  I've shot several boxes of Remington UMC, and while every round went bang and out of my gun as it should, I was unimpressed with it.  The accuracy wasn't great, the ammo wasn't as hot as Federal XM193 or Winchester Q3131a, and the price wasn't exactly conducive to buying in bulk.  Now if it was offered for less than $140/k, I would snap a bunch of it up for plinking purposes.  The brass is good for reloading, from what I've heard.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 9:57:37 AM EDT
[#2]
ZHUKOV, I've only shot about 70 rounds of it.  3 boxes of 55 grain fmj and half a box of the 45 hp's.  I have a 20" colt 1/7.  They all went bang.  At 50 yards I got a 1-1/2" group of the 45 hp's.  I did not test the 55 for accuracy in a real controlled setting.  I did fire it once prone at 25, 50, and 75 yards and I didn't think it was all that bad but that was before I measured and all that and I didn't save the targets.  The group I got with the 45's is really not all that bad considering the best group I've gotten so far with my set up is just under an 1" at 50 with 75 hornady's.  I did not test any umc at 100. sorry.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#3]
ZHUKOV, I've only shot about 70 rounds of it.  3 boxes of 55 grain fmj and half a box of the 45 hp's.  I have a 20" colt 1/7.  They all went bang.  At 50 yards I got a 1-1/2" group of the 45 hp's.  I did not test the 55 for accuracy in a real controlled setting.  I did fire it once prone at 25, 50, and 75 yards and I didn't think it was all that bad but that was before I measured and all that and I didn't save the targets.  The group I got with the 45's is really not all that bad considering the best group I've gotten so far with my set up is just under an 1" at 50 with 75 hornady's.  I did not test any umc at 100. sorry.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I have used probably 150-200 rounds of this stuff over the years. I can say the UMC made in the early-mid 90's was noticably hotter but I haven't had any problems to speak of with any of it. For commercial ammo, it's ok.

-CH
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I have shot around 200 rounds in a Colt 16" HBAR 1:9.
I shot out in the mid 1's at 100 Yds
Sorry can't give you more on it that this.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#6]
UMC- el cheapo from Wally World- you get what you pay for here- underloaded, moderately accurate, budget blasting ammo.

IMPORTANT: Had one primer burst, and I can say that these primers are much too soft for my likes.  Bursting primer isn't fun either. Caveat Emptor...
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]
My son uses it all the time in his Ruger Mini-14. It shoots to the same point of impact as the Remington 55 grain soft point's that he uses for hunting. Good for practice. MIKE
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:49:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I've shot a few hundred rounds of this stuff in my Oly carbine, no problems reliability wise (no FTF, FTE, etc). Like mentioned not as hot as other loads I've used (i.e. Winchester white box)...but I do pick it up at Wally World sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#9]
i have shot probably about 300rds or so of the 55gr stuff.  never any functional problems.  but its wasnt amazingly accurate either.  good for plinking id say comparable to the wally world wincherster white box.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#10]
used about 500 rounds of it between rock river m4 entry 16" and 20 " bushmaster xm15e2s...not quite as powerful as 3131a...no problems though...for range use i would buy again...
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Worked fine, didn't see anything that would convince me that the Wally-World White Box wasn't the better deal all around.

20" H-Bar Sporter in marginally controlled conditions out in the desert.

Oh yeah, some came from Big-5 more expensive than the same stuff from Wally-World, still more expensive than the white box.

80 rounds 55 grn FMJ
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 2:17:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Approx 400 rds UMC 55gr FMJ thru a DPMS Classic A2 HBAR 1x9. Son's Oly PCR-4 also liked it.

No issues, good commercial .223 load. Only local WalMart carries it, same price as FAE and same consistency in quality in my experience.

Wish it were more readily available, good alternative product, nothing like consumer choices to keep prices in line and quality up.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:37:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Never  had any reliability problems with it, but out of either of my rifles it is the least accurate load (other than woof).  Good plinking load though, long as you aren't looking for accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an Oly Arms FAR-15 16" light weight.  I have fired approx. 500 rounds of UMC 55gr Metal Case through it.  I have had no problems with it to speak of.  Groups range 1" to 1.5" if I do my part, open sites at a measured 100 yards.  At that range it goes straight through 5/8 inch hardened aluminium plate, and craters 1/2 inch "coarse" steel plate with blisters on the other side.  I like it, but haven't really compared it much to other brands.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Colt HBAR 6700 1/9.
500 rounds. 1 1/2 in groups average.Never 1 in. groups.
I know this barrel is capable of 1 in groups
with Win varmint ammo.
Im saving the brass though as Ive read its
good for reloading. No problems with it at all.

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#16]
I shoot Remington UMC every month in our FDCC matches. Approximately 50-100 rounds a month. Every month for the last 19 + months. I have not had one single malfunction from the ammo. I find it it be very accurate from all of my AR's, and I really like it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:05:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I really don't have an exact number of rounds fired of this particular ammo, so I will just say that it is over 10,000 rounds.The firearm used was a Colt AR15 and a Bushmaster AR15.Ammo was UMC yellow box .223 55gr. full metal jacket. It is a good deal from time to time for plinking and testing various components of the AR after modification.It is what it is. Average priced, average powered, average accuracy,average reliability. I do not recommend any ammo for END OF THE WORLD /fighting of ghost,ghouls,goblins,etc., which does not have crimped in primers.I have had several primers come completly out of this ammo as well as every other ammo that does not have crimped in primers, and even had a few crimped primers come out as well(although rare). These primers will either fall into the bolt lockinglug raceway and cause a FFD/fail to go into battery. Or they will fall into the lower reciever and cause you to to have a blocked trigger. You will pull the trigger and nothing will happen. Then you will raise the rifle skyward, look at the safety,scratch your head, then lower the rifle and it works fine for a few rounds then the trigger stops working again.This process will repeat until you realize that you have a primer bouncing around in your lower that gets under your trigger and blocks it's movement and then slides out of the way when you move the rifle around.It is mild mannered and clean burning although so is American Eagle 55gr. FMJ which is more accurate. (more fun) hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#18]
It all went bang in my Bushy 20" H-Bar but most places around here sell it for around $3.99 a box and I can get Q3131A for about $3.49 a box at Northwest Armory.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Only ammunition that won't stabilize in my OA-93.
Link Posted: 2/6/2004 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I have fired about 2000 rounds of REM UMC through my AR (RRA Upper, RRA Bolt, Bushy Lower 16" mide length, naked muzzle) I have had hot rounds, and light rounds one box that 5 primers were seated backwards in and one box that was somehow loaded with soft point ammo instead of FMJ, although I did buy that ammo in conjuction with several other boxes (different brands and calibers) at a small gunshop and someone there may have switched the boxes (the sp fmj mix up) anyways all in all good enough for plinking range work ammo.
Link Posted: 2/7/2004 4:20:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I haven't actually tried it but....  just kidding.

It's great practice ammo for reloaders because its NOT HOT!  Therefore the brass doesn't stretch as much.

People complain about it not being hot, but DUH!  If you always shoot the hottest ammo you can find you'll accelerate the wear on your weapon, NUMB NUTS!

Had a few blown primers over the years, but I'll still use it!
Link Posted: 3/19/2004 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I've used 80 rounds so far (Hey I just got my rifle!)  All went bang and all cycled fine.  I was shooting at an indoor range so I can't comment on accuracy other than it hit pretty much where I was aiming :)
Link Posted: 3/20/2004 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#23]
No failures to feed or fire in 3 Colt's and 1 RRA Ar-15. Have fired over 1000 rounds and I'm completely satisfied with this inexpensive ammo. RP cases are good reloading brass too. The heads of the brass don't bend from the extractor pulling it from the chamber like some manufactureres cases do. Typical prices you can find on 1000 rd cases tend to be about $180 and I'll pay a few extra dollars to get Rem UMC. Accuracy in my AR's tend to be 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 " at 100 yds, sometimes a little smaller if I do my part.
Link Posted: 3/20/2004 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I've only put 200-300 rounds of UMC 5.56 through my Bushmaster 16", but it functioned perfectly and was reasonably accurate. Good plinking ammo at a decent price.
Link Posted: 5/25/2004 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#25]
im pushing about 500 rnds of the UMC in my bushy ar15-e2s 16"
no problems whatsoever, not the best out there, but i'd take it over the new polymer wolf.
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Bought 240 rnds of it.  First box I opened had a deformed bullet that didn't look like it was safe to use in my AR.  I have a bushy 20".  Fired only 19 rnds of them so far.  Except for that one bullet, they were all good.  Got 200 of them on sale at rural king for $3.29, the other 40 at meijers for almost $4.00.

[edit] I sent the bad catridge back to Remington and they told me it was a very rare thing that happens.  They also gave me $15 to compensate for shipping and to buy another box of their ammo.  Shipping was only $7.50, and the box of ammo was only $3.29, so they gave me $4 extra.  I applaud them for this and thought I'd spread the news of how great of service they have.
Link Posted: 6/26/2004 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought 1500 rounds of remanufactured Remington 55gr FMJ and fired 300 rounds without a single problem.  I was very impressed with the results given that they are remanufactured.  They are also average for accuracy...1" to 2" groups at 100m.  Good plinking ammo for the most part.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought about 100 rounds of 55gr SP a while back. I had a couple of FTFs and the bullets that caused the problems were set-back in the case.

I won't spend my money on them anymore.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I shot a bunch of it the other day, I was shooting with a scope & iron sights and my view kept getting obstructed by smoke from what I thought was a black powder shooter next to me. IT WAS ME. Never really seen that happen before , not every round but quite a few. after about 200 rounds my AR started jamming. Which also has never happened to me. Also had a primer blow out the back.  I always thought I'd use it for SHTF ammo. Not any more. practice ammo only. I hope I just ran into a bad batch. I cleaned my rifle when I got home it was like I had been shooting blackpowder.
Link Posted: 6/28/2004 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#30]
My most recent experience with UMC 55gr FMJ .223 was last summer in a 3-day rifle class.  I fired a few hundred rounds through a Bushmaster superlight with no problems.  I didn't shoot any groups, but point of impact with the UMC was close enough to the South African M1A3 I was also shooting that I couldn't tell any difference.  I could hit an 8-inch plate at 100-125 yards without trouble with either.  Reliability was 100% with no cleaning in three days (although I added some lube on day three because I felt like it, but it wasn't necessary).
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#31]
1) 55gr FMJ
2) Bushmaster XM15 E2S 20"
3) 50 rounds

no problems
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#32]
i have shot over 2,000 rounds of UMC out of two different rifles, a DPMS 16" and a Bushmaster 24" V Match. I have been very impressed with this ammo. For your average range shooting it is economical and very accurate. For any competition shooting I jump up to the Federal Gold Cup with the heavier round.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top