Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2003 10:23:26 PM EDT
Thus far, I have four 500 cases of Federal XM193 to start my SHTF stack. All 4 cases have been stored as purchased in their tape sealed cardboard box which holds all the individual boxes. 2 of those boxes are from the Wholesale Hunter & after geting the sealant issues I ripped open my WH cases to discover just what I bought. I have 1000 rounds of Lot 45 brown boxed, which from everybody's reports is sealed. After the calm came over me I suddenly remembered the other 2 I bought from AMMOMAN. I broke the tape seal to find all 1000 are Lot 6 white boxed. Does anybody have knowledge of this lot in terms of problems/quality? Thus far I refused to break the tape seal, let alone bust an individual box open & handle some rounds for any of these cases.  

I wish to keep this stuff lor long term storage. Should I leave it all as is in its original packaging, or should I store it in surplus cans? If you say cans, should I keep them in the original packaging (at least the individual boxes), or should I leave them loose and/or on stripper clips?
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The box color isn't important. I think they went to the brown box in newer lots.

For long term storage I'd strongly suggest some ammo cans, with dessicant packs if you live in a humid area. My ammo cans were pretty rough when I bought them so I stripped and painted them. The rubber gaskets were a mess too, so I cleaned them up with a sponge and scouring pad in a sink full of hot soapy water.

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/ammo_cans_copy.jpg[/img]

Any ammo that isn't stored in a mag I keep in the 20 round box it came in. Personally I don't use stripper slips but a lot of the guys here do.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally, I wouldn't worry about whether the ammo is sealed or not. As long as it's stored well, it's really not going to matter all that much. Now if you are a Navy SEAL who will be doing dives with your weapon and ammo, then you might need to be more concerned. Otherwise it's not that big of a deal.

My method of storing ammo is to pack it away in ammo cans in good condition on a day when the humidity is low. Of course I also have a dehumidifier that can make my ammo/weapon room as arid as Arizona in a jiffy. Pack the ammo away (leaving it in the boxes), drop in a dessicant pack and then seal the can...leaving it in that condition until needed. I also label each can as to caliber, load and date for easy future reference. Place the cans in a cool, dry location and you are done. Avoid putting them in areas where the temperature gets too high. A temperature of 70 degrees would be good. Temps that climb above 80 degrees or warmer may not be the best though. Heat will deteriorate ammo faster than anything.

I also keep about 250 rounds on strippers but don't feel any need for more than that. My attitude is such that by the time I run through 7-30 rd mags (210 rds) and the extra 250 rounds at the ready on strippers, I will either have long defeated the threat or been killed. Any one individual is not going to last long enough in a gun battle to use more rounds than that anyway.

-CH
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top