Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2003 8:42:30 PM EDT
For years I've been using the .223 Winchester 40rnd Value Pack from Wal-Mart. (white box)
However a very knowledgeable person told me today that it wears the crap out of your barrel!
Has anyone else heard of this? How badly did I damage my precious ARs so far?
Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
[rolleyes]

Let me guess, this "knowledgeable" person works at a gun shop?
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
This sound like B.S. to me.

Unless the bullets are wraped in sand paper.....
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:52:02 PM EDT
[#3]
However a very knowledgeable person told me a fairy tail today ............
View Quote
[;)]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of upper do you have?  

Since its trashed, I'll give $50 for it [:D]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#5]
It's amazing how crappy Winchester Value Packs are.  They shoot dirty, are under(over)-powered, don't feed/eject, will impregnate your wife, etc.

They're cheap dangit and work well enough for blasting.  I'm all for the little guys but when I can go into Wal-Mart and pick up 40 rds of .223 or 100 rds of 9/40/45 Winchester for a decent price, I'm not going to pay the little guy $4 or more for the same thing.  He wants to make money but on the other hand I want to keep as much of mine as I can or at least get more if I'm going to go broke spending it.

Winchester wants to make money, they aren't going to put out a crappy product with their name on it or they'll lose money.  Do you think they'd really do that???
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I have NEVER had a problem with it except that after 1 box of 45, my barrel is now a smoothbore.

just kidding.. WWB is the best thing since sliced bread and imported surplus ammo!
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 12:15:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah of course it's true.  You start getting it around 100,000 rounds and by 200k you can almost see it by eye.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:06:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I overheard an expert telling a friend of his that the difference between a 180 grain and a 150 grain load in a .30 06 was that the 180 grain load had more powder and would "Hit faster". These experts never cease to amaze me!
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:46:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For years I've been using the .223 Winchester 40rnd Value Pack from Wal-Mart. (white box)
However a very knowledgeable person told me today that it wears the crap out of your barrel!
Thanks in advance
View Quote

Who is this self-styled "expert"? This is pure bunk!
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#10]
No NO It really does.
Send all your extra ammo to me.
I'll shoot it out of my AK74.

[:d] [:d]
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Well,
I guess you can now check this person [b]OFF[/b] your knowledgeable people list.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
[rolleyes]

Let me guess, this "knowledgeable" person works at a gun shop?
View Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
See that guy up there?  He's about the only "expert" I listen to nowadays.  I'd like to know who your "very knowledgeable person" was, and what kind of ammo HE was selling. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#14]
well, he wasn't selling any ammo at all. He manufactures Class 3 toys like silencers, and sells machine guns.
so i know he didn't just make it up to sell me his ammo.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#15]
EVERY bullet will wear the barrel, Winchester or not.  The only way to keep the barrel from wearing out is to oil it and then put it away.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll let you know after I go through the 3500 rounds I have.  Unless Bass Pro Shop runs another sale for $2.88 a box, then it will be longer.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
well, he wasn't selling any ammo at all. He manufactures Class 3 toys like silencers, and sells machine guns.
so i know he didn't just make it up to sell me his ammo.
View Quote

Ok ask him to elaborate on this hypothesis.
Get back to us and let us know what he says.
Maybe he knows something that we don't.
None of us knows everything.
You have to admit though, that is a pretty questionable comment.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 1:48:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks in advance
View Quote

I consulted a very reputable board member on this issue.  It was agreed that this ammo will undoubtedly screw up your barrel.

After 50,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#19]
[bs]
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#20]
While LC M193 is my range/[s]piss off everyone on the ready line[/s]/blasting ammo of choice I've never had a problem shooting Winchester whitebox in any of my ARs.

Every single round we put downrange wears the barrel to a small degree anyway, so why not save some money while we're doing it?
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#21]
[b]Winchester wants to make money, they aren't going to put out a crappy product with their name on it or they'll lose money. Do you think they'd really do that???[/b]

Actually, yes they would. I had 1,000 rounds of 1999 Q3131 (not A). After about twenty rounds fired, every other round would stick in the chamber and fail to extract. No, it wasn't the gun. Same results in five others. My rifle functioned fine with every other kind of ammo imaginable.

Chronograph revealed a high-to-low variation of (I'm not making this up) 156 fps!

Sent samples and chrono data to Winchester. Their response: "nothing wrong with this ammunition".

I'm still looking for someone with a 5.56 AK to give the remaining stock to.

SD
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Winchester almost always makes quality products, with a few exceptions inclduding some Q3131 1999 lots that were being manufactured at and incredible rate as an attempt to keep up with the Y2K demand, correct me if I'm wrong here...
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#23]
A bad batch does not an inferior product make.  I picked up some Q3131 with 99 stamped cases and haven't had any problems.

Was Q3131 considered a good product prior to the bad batchs?  When one discusses the quality of Winny Value Packs at Wally World one has to realize that there is a HUGE number of rounds sitting on shelves in hundreds (thousands?) of Wal-Marts across the country.  That's way too much ammo available to way too many people to manufacture crap.  

I'm pretty sure that Winchester knows that gun-owners in the US will not tolerate overall poor quality, have the ability to network (boycotts), and therefore will not intentionally make inferior products.  Our wallets have alot of power when combined and they want our dollars in their pockets.

Now that I'm done with that sermon....Just my .02.  I'm just tickled someone actually responded to one of my posts.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:23:58 PM EDT
[#24]
And if you keep masterbateing you will go blind .The good die young.the check is in the mail .It's only a fever blister .The benz is paid for .And Lee Harvy Oswald was the lone assasin.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#25]
You forgot,

"I'm from the government and here to help you"
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Whats the muzzle velocity on that light bullet ammo? Thats the issue, it's way fast. I don't mess with it because it gets gold colored powder all over your hands, then of coarse your equipment.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#27]
sometimes when I read these remarks i just start rolling.  I love the sandpaper one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It reminds me of that thread that this guy was saying how much more accurate a mini-14 was than an ar and one of the guys replied," put down the crack pipe and slowly back away"  OOOHH God that was funny.  Sandpaper!!!!!!!  after 45 rounds mine was a smoothbore!!!!!  I think I'm gonna wet my pants I'm laughing so hard.  I'm going to wake up my wife if you guys keep making me roll on the floor!!!!  Thank you for the comments I haven't laughed this hard in awhile.

lockedon, as a conglomerate these guys shoot alot of ammo, I'm not saying they know everything but I think your barrel is safe.  I don't know I could be wrong but... lots of guys use it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top