Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2003 1:43:32 PM EDT
That's, like, WOW so that's it!!!!

Long before I became aware of this Forum, I purchased 1K of Wolf ammo for my DPMS Shorty that I had just put together. It didn't like the Wolf and so I bought some other Russian ammo.

No, I am not stupid, just a little slow on the uptake sometimes. And my shorty didn't like the new stuff either. Skip ahead to last year when I found this forum. Heard about M-193 and Q-3131A. Bought 1k of M-193 and didn't have any problems. Put together a second, then third AR. The all liked the M-193, but would not run on the Russian stuff.

Skip to last month. A friend shows up at the range just after I get there and he has brought along a couple of Full Auto Colts: an M-4 and 10 inch AR. Says to me if you got the ammo you can shoot them. Check my ammo can and I have 500 Russian and 150 M-193. He says the Colts will shoot anything and I have a blast. No FTF or FTE from either brand.

This scene is repeated several times including today. No problems with the Russian ammo. But my guns still won't shoot it: FTE and FTF.

Finally, here is my point. All of the weapons that had no problem with the Russian ammo were chambered in 5.56 and chrome lined. All of the weapons that did not like the Russian ammo had non-chrome steel barrels or stainless barrels. All of my barrels are non-chromed steel barrels with 5.56 chambers.

So those of you that have problems with the Russian stuff, is you barrel chromed or not. And those of you guys that say you have had no problem with the Russian stuff, the same question.

Could chrome plating be the answer to reliability? I don't know but it is something that I will certainly look into for my next build.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Could chrome plating be the answer to reliability?
View Quote

Indeed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never had a non chrome lined one ,but I have seen some that would eat wolf with no problem .have you tryed polishing the chamber ? the only thing i use russian ammo in is my AK and it is barnal .
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top