Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2003 11:47:01 AM EDT
I never see anything regarding UMC ammo.I'm thinking about buying some.Has anyone had good or bad experience with it?Any advice is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I've shot probably about 50 rounds of it.  That's not alot but I haven't had any ftf's.  It loaded just fine also.  I've shot both 45 hp's and 55 grain fmj.  Both we're relatively accurate but I didn't do any real in depth study of accuracy on it.  I'm also pretty much a novice at this ar stuff so don't just trust my opinion on it.  jj
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I've shot a couple of hundred rounds of it, and I've never had a problem with it, except one.  Its too mediocre...meaning that while it is reliable, consistent, commonly available, its nothing great.  Neither is the price.  Most of the time, you can buy Winchester Q3131a or Federal XM193 or even IMI M193 for less than the UMC.  And those three are MIL-SPEC ammo!  If you see it for less than $2.90/box of 20, buy as much of it as you can for plinking.  However, if its anymore than that, just buy Federal XM193 or Winchester Q3131a from Ammoman or Wholesale Hunter.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#3]
ghost-shooter, that is cheap.  Is that usually in bulk or can you find it a couple boxes at a time?  The last gun show I went to this guy had a couple of boxes of imi m855 and if I remember correctly it was over $10 a box.  I thought.  So I didn't buy it.  I was tempted but I thought it was way too high.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the advice ghost-shooter.I am looking for cheap,reliable ammo that is not too abusive to my guns.I tend to be very conservative and meticulous about maintaining my guns.I think I will buy some of the UMC.That 556 nato stuff,such as q3131a or lcxm193 has very high pressures and a slightly longer throat.Also,reports of mammoth fireballs!!!!Sounds like destructive stuff.I will probably buy 1 case of q3131a for SHTF day,but not for plinking.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#5]
UMC is good ammunition.

It's the second cheapest in my area behind Wolf.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 12:44:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot about a hundred rounds and it is on par with most commercial 223 ammo.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:17:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I shoot a lot of it in my wheelguns, mostly 38 special and 357 mag, and for the price, it's really good stuff. I especially like the 357 mag 125gr. soft points, which are full-power loads.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:50:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had good experience with UMC in all my rifles. 223 in my AR, 30carbine in my M1, 30-06 in my Garand.

Remington/UMC's experience in making ammo goes back to the 1800s. They were a major supplier of ammo to the US during both World Wars, Korea and Viet Nam. I qualified in Basic in 1970 on an M-16A1 using RP/UMC ammo made right in my hometown of Bridgeport, CT. They made something like 55% of all the small arms ammo used by the Allies during WW2.

My perception is that the only problem with UMC ammo is Remington's lack of marketing ... it is not readily available locally where I trade.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top