Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2003 2:20:59 PM EDT
I can get some reload 55gr FMJ pretty cheap. I baught it before and went through 500 rounds no problem.  What is everyones issue with reload.  I hear a lot of people say they would never shoot it.  Why?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Who is the remanufacturer?  That has a lot to do with it.  I don't shoot reloads except my own, but I wouldn't have any qualms about shooting Black Hills.  The others, I don't know enough to buy them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm with redleg, I'll shoot mine, Black Hills, and that's about it.
I am sure there are other reman companies that are great, but I don't know who they are.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't trust other people's reloads.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm with redleg and Ohio.  Mine and BH only.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I sure trust my own reloads.  I KNOW what goes into them.  I don't know for sure what goes into even the best factory ammo because I wasn't there to see it assembled.

Cheap ammo doesn't matter if it isn't accurate enough to suit you.

Me, I assemble about a thousand rounds for 200 bucks, and its accuracy is superb.  It's capable of holding 3/8ths inch groups at 100 yards if I can just keep the crosshairs centered exactly the same every time.   My scope's crosshairs are too fat, and their intersection actually completely covers a half inch group, so I have to sight off center to see where I just shot.

Try that with the cheap stuff!

CJ
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone who reloads knows how easy it is to accidentally place an extra charge (especially with pistol ammo) or seat the bullet too far or at times use the wrong weight or maybe even a wrong caliber if reloading many different calibers.

With this in mind, you are essentially "hoping" the person doing your reloads was awake, attentive and sober.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
That is one of the great attributes of a self-indexing progressive press that has the right features on it, like a Dillon 650.  You literally can't double charge the shell unless you've got your powder measure messed up or you take shells out of the shell plate and move them back to earlier stations.  

And, with at least .223 shells, there are a lot of good loadings that take up so much case space for powder that a double charge is pretty obvious because it's overflowing the case.  Kind of hard to miss.   In fact, I don't think there's ANY .223 loading that would allow a double charge without a considerable spill, and my favorite loads almost completely fill the case anyway.  A dangerous overcharge would be easily noticed and in some case, I'm not sure it's even possible!   Win 748 powder, for example, is pretty bulky for its grain weight, and some common .223 loadings with it take the powder into the neck of the case.

CJ
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top