Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/4/2003 8:55:43 AM EDT
Hey dose it hurt already loaded ammo to be put into a tumbler for polishing? Some times you get ammo that just looks bad but shoots ok.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#1]

[blue]What?!

Who cares what it looks like. Shoot it! As long as the ammo functions (fires, ejects, hits what you're aimming at, etc.) don't wate your time pollishing it.

Besides, shinny ammo makes it easier for the bad guys to see you!

Yikes. . .[/blue]

Link Posted: 10/4/2003 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#2]
If you must polish it, polish it by hand.  I plan on polishing the ammo for a 50 round M60 belt for display, but wouldn't bother for ammo I was going to shoot.

Brasso works great.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#3]
From what I understand lots of ammo is tumled live at the factory.  I myself have tumbled both live factory rounds and live reloads.  0 problems, just wouldn't leave the house when tumbling if I were you.  If a round were to someone combust there wouldn't be much of an affect without a chamber to help combustion.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:42:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey dose it hurt already loaded ammo to be put into a tumbler for polishing? Some times you get ammo that just looks bad but shoots ok.
View Quote

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Seriously, I do it.  I can't imagine that the bugbears some people trot out could ever be a problem.

Larry
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#5]
You're joking, right?  Who cares what it looks like, as long as it shoots well.

I doubt my target will care.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Simply:
Skin oils and acids can damage the metal in brass and gilding metal.  Long term storage of touched ammunition can cause extraction problems in dirty guns (SHTF Time) or actually weaken the case.

Reloaders also take some pride in appearance of their product; we want it to look clean, not corroded.

If I am going to shoot it soon I don't bother, but if I'm putting it away for a while I'll clean it off first, and handle it with gloves.
The same way the military and commercial producers do, and for the same reason.  Ever wonder why the 193 doesn't have fingerprints?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ever wonder why the 193 doesn't have fingerprints?
View Quote

I'll take a stab at this...

Is it because MACHINES don't have fingers?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ever wonder why the 193 doesn't have fingerprints?
View Quote

I'll take a stab at this...

Is it because MACHINES don't have fingers?
View Quote

Daggone it!

He's good, that must be why they made him moderator, huh?

But anyway, clean is better; especially for long term storage.  But factory ammo doesn't need cleaned unless it has been handled a lot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Daggone it!

He's good, that must be why they made him moderator, huh?

But anyway, clean is better; especially for long term storage.  But factory ammo doesn't need cleaned unless it has been handled a lot.
View Quote

[:D]

You're right about long term storage.  I don't sift through my cases of reloading brass without latex gloves on.

But my SHTF gets cycled through once a year or more, so I'm not too worried about it corroding.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:04:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I tend to tumble my reloads after I assemble them rather than before. It's a pain in the ass to remove excess media from empty 223 brass, so I load them dirty and clean them later.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:43:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you must polish it, polish it by hand.  I plan on polishing the ammo for a 50 round M60 belt for display, but wouldn't bother for ammo I was going to shoot.

Brasso works great.
View Quote

Do NOT use Brasso! The ammonia in it can weaken the case and that may cause a catastrophic failure. Use one of the ammonia free case polish available from any of the reloading supply retailers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Lee makes a case holder that you put into a drill, they come in differnt cal sizes. They are made for case trimming, but I use it to hold a loaded bullet and a piece of fine steel wool to polish the cases as it spins. I wear cotton gloves so no sweat gets on the round when its done and store them. Works great for me and its fast.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top