Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2003 9:59:11 PM EDT
Looking for an "all-around" load to shoot in a 1/8 or 1/9 16" barrel. Not looking for a long range load as all shots will be inside 200-250 yards. I've shot this bullet in a Rem 700 .223 and it has performed well on East Texas varmints from crows to coyotes. Does a passing job on smallish Hill Country whitetails...
Wondering if it would be sufficient for social problems when used in an AR. I don't doubt that it would work on all spooks and gobblins, but would it pass for penetration in through glass or doors? Anyone have experience with this bullet?
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#1]
No real experience.  I'm assuming you're talking about the Partition?  If so, I'll see what I can find out.

In general, I won't recommend a soft point round for "social encounters" when there are other, better designs available.

I have a feeling that over-penetration may be a problem.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#2]
When I hunted, I shot deer exclusively with Partitions in my Remington 700 and they fragmented violently an punched through both sides of the white tails ribcage every time.  Since there is a  hefty FMJ type core with a lot of copper and lead in front I bet it would over penetrate in an urban setting.

I used the 85 grain in a 6mm handload.  I have no idea how the .22 version 60 grain would work.  I can say all the deer dropped like rocks and died on the spot except one doe I shot low in the lungs who ran off and covered about 40 yards before she stumbled and fell into a cactus where she was still twitching and looking around about 3 minutes later.  I guess thats to be expected on a lung shot that does not cross any major vessels.

I always had fragmented wounds about 2-3 inches in diameter on the far side of the body.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]
For social encounters, I think I would stick to the following loads for a 1:9 twist 16" carbine:

-Federal or Black Hills 69 gr BTHP Match

-Black Hills 68 gr BTHP Match

If your particular carbine can stabilize the Hornady or Black Hills 75 gr BTHP Match sufficiently to maintain combat effective accruracy, I would choose it over the other loads. Some 1:9 twists can stabilize these bullets, some can't. So you'll just have to buy a box and see.

For a load to be used in defensive situations, I much prefer the fragmenting match bullets to softpoints. While there are some decent softpoint loads, even the best one falls short of doing the kind of tissue damage that a good fragmenting bullet will do. The more damage, the more bleeding. The more bleeding, the faster the potential of the bad guy going down.

As far as the load that will penetrate barriers best in .223 caliber, the Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 55 and 62 gr loads are about as good as it gets in this caliber. The 62 gr is virtually impossible to get outside the law enforcement community. The 55 gr version performs similarly but again, neither will cause the level of damage the match JHP's will cause. And the .223 isn't exactly the best choice when it comes to barrier penetration shots anyway. Therefore use one of the above mentioned match loads for self defense applications. If you want barrier penetration, pick up a good M1A or FAL carbine and get yourself some good bonded Federal premium ammunition.

-CH
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top