Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2003 10:39:46 AM EDT
Well, I finally got a chance to shoot some 75gr Hornady TAP beyond 25yds out of my 14.5" Bushy M4 1-9.  Yesterday I shot 25 rounds each of American Eagle 55gr, XM193, BH Blue Box 68gr, and the 75gr TAP, and the TAP patterned the best at both 50 and 100yds.  I'll have all the info posted in the next couple of days (and hopefully some pics).  Thanks!

Andy
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't the Hornady 75 gr TAP loaded slightly hotter than the Black Hills 75 gr? I don't mean a huge difference but maybe 50 fps difference? It seems the more velocity, the more likely it will stabilize in the 1:9 twist barrels. I am thinking that many of the worst accuracy problems may have come from some of the Black Hills blue box re-man lot that was loaded a bit on the light side. It seems that lately there are far fewer reports of accuracy problems with 75 gr ammo in 1:9 twists. Of course that's just a theory. Maybe we need a poll so we can see a percentage of who has or hasn't had success with 75 gr ammo in the 1:9 twist carbines/rifles?

-CH
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm very glad to hear 75grs work in your 1 in 9 14.5". I hope it works in mine too (haven't tested).

As long as they are combat accurate (meaning 6 MoA out to 200 yards) I have no problem using them in 1 in 9 twists. My rifles are not competition material anyway.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Charging Handle:

How well do you speculate that 75gr TAP ammo would fare out of my 16" Dissy?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Charging Handle:

How well do you speculate that 75gr TAP ammo would fare out of my 16" Dissy?
View Quote

There's just no way to know for sure. It might work, it might not. But I think it would be worth the effort to try it and see.

It also seems this bullet has undergone some recent changes which may improve the chances of it stabilizing in the slower twists. It is a fraction shorter than the older bullet and has a more rounded boat-tail profile which may help it somewhat. There was a post here a week or two ago that showed a side by side comparison of the two bullets. Of course the only way to find out is to just get a couple of boxes and test it.

-CH
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I personally don't have any use for the 75 grain loads for defensive purposes.  However, my Colt AR with 16.1 inch 1/9 barrel shoots the 75 grain loads very accurately.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#6]
A lot of people call the 75gr A-max a "TAP" round, since Hornady loads the A-max/V-max bullets into their lighter weight TAP.  The only 75gr TAP load is a BTHP.  Is that what you're speaking of?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I am speaking of the 75gr BTHP round.  Packaged in 25rd Hornady boxes marked "TAP Precision".

Andy
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Does the 75 gr BTHP have a cannelure on it?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does the 75 gr BTHP have a cannelure on it?
View Quote

It supposedly does now.  Not long after Tatja and I did the 75/77gr experiment, I was informed that Hornady had stopped producing the non-cannelured version in favor of producing ONLY the one with cannelure.

Before that, finding the cannelured version wasn't very easy.

I haven't checked up on the validity of this story since I assumed it to be true.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Has anyone been able to confirm that the newer bullets have the cannelure ? NetchezSS has a sale on this ammo and I might pick up a few boxes...
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 9:25:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Is the stuff that Natchez is selling the 75 gr BTHP or the 75 gr AMAX? They do have a good price on their TAP at $10.99 per box.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Isn't the Hornady 75 gr TAP loaded slightly hotter than the Black Hills 75 gr?
View Quote

IIRC Giles Stock indicated there are two loadings.  One is marked '.223' and is at SAMMI pressure.  The other is marked 5.56 and is at NATO pressure.  If you buy the military pressure load they make the agency sign a sheet confirming the agency understands the ammo is for rifles with proper M16 chambers (not .223 chambers).  There have been reliability problems with agencies that have ARs with .223 chambers firing the military pressure loads.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:08:28 PM EDT
[#13]
100Yards isnt much of a test.  Remember than M855 will still be on the human torso at 90 yards from a 1:12 Twist!

Drag your target out to the 300 meter line and get back to us on how that 1:9 is working out.

My 1:9 24" Stainless HBAR shoots Hornady 75Gn fine out to 200 Meters. But it's the only 1:9 thats given me consistant results.

BTW: Ive never seen a 75Gn AMAX. I would love to see a pic if anyone has one, or better yet an online mail order source. Ive shot a boat load of the 75GN BTHP and would like to try the Mythical 75Gn AMAX
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
BTW: Ive never seen a 75Gn AMAX. I would love to see a pic if anyone has one, or better yet an online mail order source. Ive shot a boat load of the 75GN BTHP and would like to try the Mythical 75Gn AMAX
View Quote

I don't have any loaded.  I just have some bullets.

I'll try to take a pic tomorrow with a few other bullets so you can get some scale.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't have any loaded.  I just have some bullets.
View Quote

Does it have a polymer tip like the .30 Caliber AMAX's?
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:54:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Hi,

I've been shooting 75AMAX out to 500 meters in a 1/9 Colt barrel with good results. The bullet was designed to make 1/9 barrels more competitive against the barrels with faster twist (1/8, 1/7 and everything in between) that can shoot the 80 grain matchbullets offered by several manufacturers.

Please note that when you load these bullets the rounds will be too long for the magazine. You have to load them one-by-one, turning your rilfe into singe shot basically.

I've tried to load some to maglength to see what would happen. Result was lousy accuracy, so I don't advise to do that. I also shot a few with the nosecap removed (loaded to maglength) and at short range accuracy was ok. The bc however decreased severly making the bullet unsuitable for medium range (500 meters).  

Found this lousy picture at Midwayusa.com
[img]http://www.midwayusa.com/midwayusa/applications/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=447990[/img]
Good luck,
Bollocks
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Hello all,

I also found that Hornady changed their bullets.  I bought 2 boxes from the same place, 1 box was the new 20 round cardboard looking, and the other was the red, 25 round box.  The opening on the hollow point was bigger on some.  There was definitely a difference even though they were both marked 75 grain bthp.  They don't seem to shoot much different from what I can tell but I didn't do an extensive testing of it.  

Also, I personally have never seen TAP rounds I don't think.  I thought that was just for police but it wasn't any different, velocity wise.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#18]
OK, just to make sure.  Does Hornady package their 75gr BTHP TAP Ammo different ways?  The packaging I have is the 25rd square box, and is labeled "TAP Precision".  I've seen TAP 75gr BTHP 20rd boxes catologued, but have not seen them personally.  How does the 75gr BTHP load differ from their standard 75gr BTHP loading?  Thanks.

Andy
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I think so, because mine don't say TAP anywhere on the box.  I just double checked.  And if you look at their website, they show charts on the regular bthp and the tap but the tap numbers are from a 16" barrel where the bthp numbers are from a 24" barrel.  The guy that sells stuff to me sometimes said that it's just the way they(hornady) market to law enforcement.  I don't know, I just shoot them.  If you ask me, they're the same.  Because the tap numbers aren't nato loaded so I'm just assuming they're both saami pressure 75 grain bthp.  Now the amax, that's a whole different ball of wax.  They don't load it though, you have to load your own to use them but those are the ones that don't fit magazine length from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#20]
75gr Hornady tap is being sold to law enforcement with trajectory data for 1/9 16" barrels.this is a good sign ,you think?I want to try it,any recommendation where to buy.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Natchez Shooters Supply..800-251-7839..I'm gonna get some tomorrow.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top