Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2003 6:08:31 PM EDT
Ammoman has 840 rounds Winchester GI on clips/bandoliers dated 1987...ordered one of those and 500 rounds of Federal packed 5.56 LC 02 production.....ammo is so nice I don't want to fire it!....should I order something else for range plinking or fire it up?.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot some of both; see which works best for you. Put the best stuff away in the can.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 7:32:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Shoot the old, store the new...
Or save both and buy some Wolf...
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:26:37 AM EDT
[#3]
LOL, I'm in a similar situation.  I uncrated the Win. ammo and opened one can.  Everything is so perfectly packed it seems like blasphemy to load the rounds into magazines.

I know I [i]have[/i] to shoot it, I just don't want to!  :)
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Y'all are weird.[;)]
My only problem is with ammo disappearing when I open the case. [:)]  I swear my rifle and ammo go out without me sometimes!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Very.........
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoot it, you can always buy more!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Me too..!  I was wondering if I was the only one around here who purchased some of this military-pack ammo from our friends at ammoman.com. (yeah, I knew better)
In fact, my order arrived today..right on schedule!  Brand new storage can, contents untouched (it even hissed a little bit when I opened it).  
I will not hesitate to shoot some of it, but may save bulk for SHTF.  Sealed primers, good looking stuff.
I would have liked to purchase two cans, but 400-dollars plus was a bit much at one time (wife starts looking at me funny..not sure she understands this ammo-thing)
This is my second order from ammoman.com.  Good people, no BS.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Shoot it, you can always buy more!
View Quote

Can I?  Since current law prohibits the sale of any recently produced mil-surp ammo it seems to me these cans of WCC87 are a bit of a find.

I know it's crazy to think of ammo as too nice to shoot, but no one ever accused me of being sane!  [booze] [banana]
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:33:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Ordering large quanities of ammo prior to determining whether your rifle likes and groups well with it, is a [b]waste of money[/b] and [whacko].

Here's a tip: Buy small quanities until you find the SHTF ammo your rifle groups the [b]tighest[/b] with and HAS the [b]LEAST feed/function problems[/b] with, folks, this is what those of us with [b]NO money tree[/b] in the back-yard do. Hopefully it will be ammo which is of recent manufacture, so that long term storage is viable, then cycle it, replacing what you shoot at the range with fresher. [b]This way you'll have constant feed-back on your SHTF ammo, everytime ya go to the range[/b].

My 2cents, (no-charge)
Mike
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#10]
So, how much SHTF ammo is really necessary?

I've been told by several friends that shoot a lot that 500000 rounds is the minimum if you intend to do patrols, and group your relatives/neighbors into squads.

On the flip side, some other friends say that anything over 50000 rounds is excessive, and will be hard to transport and store.  Do these extreme minimalists have a point?

Of, course, still other friends in my circle maintain that 150000 rounds is generally considered adequate, as long as protracted firefights are expected to be infrequent.  I'm tempted to just buy 200000 rounds and call it done, but I WANT TO BE ADEQUATELY PREPARED!!

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So, how much SHTF ammo is really necessary?

I've been told by several friends that shoot a lot that 500000 rounds is the minimum if you intend to do patrols, and group your relatives/neighbors into squads.

On the flip side, some other friends say that anything over 50000 rounds is excessive, and will be hard to transport and store.  Do these extreme minimalists have a point?

Of, course, still other friends in my circle maintain that 150000 rounds is generally considered adequate, as long as protracted firefights are expected to be infrequent.  I'm tempted to just buy 200000 rounds and call it done, but I WANT TO BE ADEQUATELY PREPARED!!

What do you guys think?
View Quote

You have high quality friends.  

Some of mine think 200 rounds is enough to fight a war.

Robert

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:28:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been told by several friends that shoot a lot that 500000 rounds is the minimum
View Quote

Ok, lets see here...
1000 rnds of 5.56 is approx 30 lbs or so.
500,000 rnds 5.56 approx 15,000 lbs.

1000 rnds of quality 5.56 approx $200 shipped.
500,000 rnds 5.56 at same rate would be $100,000.

Hopefully, one would get a great bulk price for that kind of purchase, but then where the hell would you put 15,000 lbs of ammo?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top