Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2003 1:57:13 PM EDT
I would like to go wild pig (not Boar) hunting. In Missouri it's legal all year, their considered a nuisance.

The 64-grain Winchester Supreme Powerpoint Plus looks like a good round for this. But, I'm concerned the moly coating will be permantly left in the barrel. Has anybody used this round, can the Moly residue be removed with CLP?
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#2]
GRH2
I'm sorry, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but here in Hawaii we have found that the .223 in general is pretty marginal for pig.  Our pigs are probably pretty close to what you see, most in the 150lb range with some 200lb+ boars.  The bones in these animals are so heavy and the hides are so thick that most light hunting round can't penetrate enough or do enough damage to reliably drop one of them.  Local hunters favor the weak M1 carbine with it's heavier bullet, and many also use (will typing this get me banned?) Mini-30's.  The preferance is really for heavier bullets that can punch through those thick shoulders.

Local hunters often recover healthy animals with .30 carbine rounds emdedded in the shoulder blades. [:o]

However if you are using good biting dogs and can get close enough then IMHO the power point is your best bet.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Ando:
Thanks for the great information. I guess I'll have to fall back to my Remington 7mm Mag. It Looks like I have either too little or too much power for the wild pigs. Sounds like .308/7.62 would be just about perfect.

How about the moly bullet leaving a residue in the bore? Does anybody know if it does, and if it does can it be removed with CLP?
Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top