Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2003 8:11:01 AM EDT
Anyone else notice the remarkable resemblance between wins new platnum tip hunting ammo and the old black talons. I was looking through American handgunner and saw the ad, well the expanded pthp looks like a bt without  the black
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 12:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#2]
no I'm talking about pistol rounds, they are availble only in .44mag .41mag and .454.  the picture clearly shows the "claws".
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 3:07:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Winchester never stopped making "Black Talon" pistol bullets in most calibers. They have evolved a little since Winchester took them off the civilian market, but they are available with the "talons" in the Ranger LEO line. The current "civilian" bullet in the Supreme line is nearly the same as the Ranger SXT and Ranger-T (the two newer generations of "balck talon") but lacks the "talons" and dosn't perform as well as the Ranger SXT or T lines. Note, its "OK" but dosnt stand up to barriers like auto glass, sheet metal, etc. The Supreme was a reasonably accurate load in my 9mm CCW, but I prefer, and carry the Ranger SXT or Ranger T loads. They are available in a few places on the internet.

I have shot the 127gr +P+ 9mm SXT LEO load into water from my XD Compact and it expanded nicely to about .70 and retained most if not all of its weight. I carry this one, or Gold Dots in 124gr +P flavor. The Gold Dots are not as accurate for me.

The new large bore hunting loads are just using the same reverse taper jacket design, includnig the talons from what I can tell. It's a good bullet, with good expansion and weight retention. If Winchester is taking things learned with LEO ammo and applying it to hunting ammo, I wouldn't be suprised.

If anyone tries this stuff I'd like to hear the results on deer or other game...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top