Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2003 8:55:10 AM EDT
I know the 77gr. bullets are pretty new on the scene, but has anybody had any experience with this bullet/barrel combination yet?

I haven't been able to find any of the NATO-spec loaded ammo yet, otherwise I'd be posting the results I've had with it...

I'm hoping to find some to buy at the Wanenmacher's show here in Tulsa in October...
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I know the 77gr. bullets are pretty new on the scene, but has anybody had any experience with this bullet/barrel combination yet?

I haven't been able to find any of the NATO-spec loaded ammo yet, otherwise I'd be posting the results I've had with it...

I'm hoping to find some to buy at the Wanenmacher's show here in Tulsa in October...
View Quote

[url=http://www.georgiaprecision.com/]You can find the 77 Grain NATO loading here.[/url]
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#2]
OUCH!!! For that price, I think I'll stick with [b]Q3131A[/b]...

If I think I'll be making any long-range shots, I'll just carry my M1A instead...[8D]

When the price comes down to about half that, then I'll think about getting some...

Hey!, There's a good excuse to get into reloading!
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If I think I'll be making any long-range shots, I'll just carry my M1A instead...[8D]

When the price comes down to about half that, then I'll think about getting some...

Hey!, There's a good excuse to get into reloading!
View Quote

HA!   I hope you are ready to wait forever.
$590 per 1k for the nosler 77 nato
current price for sierra 77 grain mk is $594 per K, 458 for reman
69 smk is $430 per k for reman.
the ammo is in new special brass, with higher pressure than standard- don't expect it to ever drop below $550

Yes, very good reason to get into reloading- the 77 grain bullet is selling for $10 per 100 at the nosler pro shop.

Link Posted: 9/11/2003 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#4]
So has [b]ANYONE[/b] found a place to order the 77 grain OTM (Mk262 Mod 1) w/ cannelure bullets?

Just the bullets, please, although if ya got any loading info that would be helpful too, as I'd like to reload some of my own.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

While I can't get any to try yet (I too prefer to roll my own and hope to get a supply of the bullets to try, see above), have tried my long range CR6724 load in 77grn. SMKs in 2, 1/9 twist 16" M4s, both RRA post-ban and Colt pre-ban. Neither were up to the task. Even though my 77 SMK load is quite hot, groups IIRC were in the 3-4" range at 100 yards, quite sub-par from what each upper was capable of using Q3131A.

FWIW, this is the reason I bought one of CMMGs DPMS 1/7 16" M4 uppers, which does shoot the 77 SMKs quite well, suspect it'll like the Nosler too.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why for that price you get a bullet that has far better effectiveness.  Shorter neck, larger cavity, and more reliable fragmentation.

But hey its your life, what is it worth?

If I think I'll be making any long-range shots
View Quote
]
This is a great CQB round and given the same barrel length should fragment at longer ranges than M193.

FYI if you want data on the round (MV & accuracy for a variety of barrel lengths) then check out my post near the bottom of this page: [url]http://www.ar15.com./forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=150906&page=8[/url]
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Forest: Read your post and I'm glad that the 77gr bullet is still stabilized by the 1x9 twist barrels.

Now: Where can I find loading information for this bad boy ? Powder type/charge weight, cases (anything special there?), OAL, etc. ? I may just have to buy some dies for the 'ol press now that I know that my gun will shoot this...
Link Posted: 9/11/2003 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Bushmaster says that there rifles with 1-9 twist will stabalize bullets up to 69 grains. I haven't heard of anyone having good accuracy at all with a 16" barrel. People shooting a 20" barrel seems to be hit and miss.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#9]
How [s]many people[/s] many bullets would people order if i walked down to Nosler and asked them to roll a cannalure on their bare 77 gr otm?  It should be relatively easy for them to do, just depends if they woke up on the wrong side of the bed or not.

people post how much you want, it should still be $10 per 100, and i'll try and get  a group of bullets rolled

Danny

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Forest: Read your post and I'm glad that the 77gr bullet is still stabilized by the 1x9 twist barrels.

Now: Where can I find loading information for this bad boy ? Powder type/charge weight, cases (anything special there?), OAL, etc. ? I may just have to buy some dies for the 'ol press now that I know that my gun will shoot this...
View Quote

[s]why odn't you call nosler on their toll free number and they will give you all the info you want?

vv135-20.5-25.5grains, 2451-2664mv
rl1522.5-24.5 ;    2487-2741
varget 22.5-24.5;   2466-2693

don't take those numbers to mean anything specific or relative to your loading application, ymmv, don't blow up your gun,  don't be an idiot, etc etc warning blah blah[/s]

1.www.google.com
2.enter nosler in the subject field.  hit enter or return
3 click on the field that says "reloading info" or ballistics room.
4.  click on the .223 77 gr selection

Link Posted: 9/12/2003 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How [s]many people[/s] many bullets would people order if i walked down to Nosler and asked them to roll a cannalure on their bare 77 gr otm?  Danny
View Quote

Check your IM, I'll take a 1000.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Nosler already DOES have a 77gr with cannelure.  They're hard to find still, but ehy're becoming more prevalent.  You don't need to have them make a special run.  Just find out who carries them.  Nosler should help you there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I would take 1000.

Norm
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Just spoke w/ the Nosler Pro-Shop, they will only sell this bullet, the 77grn NATO OTM w/ cannelure to Black Hills at this time.

John there told me to call back ea. month and he MIGHT be able to sell me some factory seconds, ones that don't make it to BH, but he didn't think the non-blemished ones would be made available to the general reloading public...., crap!

They do sell the non-cannelured version.

Nosler already DOES have a 77gr with cannelure. They're hard to find still, but ehy're becoming more prevalent. You don't need to have them make a special run. Just find out who carries them. Nosler should help you there.
View Quote

He had no idea about this post, so that's what I've found out.

Let me know if you fair any better than I did Danny, as I'd still prefer the cannelured version.

Mike

[red][b][size=2]ADDED:
After re-reading Tatjana & Brouhaha's 77 OTM post again this weekend, ordered 500 of the "new" Nosler 77 OTM "without the cannelure", as it appears from their topic to be no different at the business end.

As I'm already using a hot long range 77 SMK "non-cannelured load" in a DPMS 1/7 16" M4, this should work as well. Problem with the Sierra 77 Matchking is the "quite long neck", meaning that in the informal varmint shooting we've been doing with it, unless you hit bone, the round sometimes passed straight through. There have numerous occassions where we thought shot was a miss, only to find animal drop short interval later "shot through the heart" but as round didn't frag, critter didn't know they were dead. The Nosler 77 OTM, appears to eliminate this problem entirely and in rifles w/ M4 feed ramp cuts should cycle/work as well as the 77 SMKs, even better after impact......

Will STILL be interested in purchase of "cannelured" 77 OTM bullets though, so please let me know should they become available,
thanks,
mike[/size=3][/b][/red]  
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I've got 1K of the NATO loads ordered & paid for from Tommy.  These will be my SHTF loads.  I'd like to load my own for practice though.  I'm currently setting up to do so.  My figures for loading 1000 put me at $163 if I buy new brass.  This is the same price I pay for my 2000 to 2001 lots of XM193.  I don't mind the time it takes to load up a 1000.  I can get the non-cannlure version but if you can get them w/ the cannlure put me down for 1k.

Big Al
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone worked up a good load that generates similar vel. to the 77NoslerNato using the available 77Nosler bullet? I suspect everyone will want something like this for practice.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Has anyone worked up a good load that generates similar vel. to the 77NoslerNato using the available 77Nosler bullet? I suspect everyone will want something like this for practice.
View Quote

Nosler lists RL-15 as maxing out at 2741.    Anything above that and you are strictly on your own.   If you want to approach nato specs, you should have at least a chrono, so you can measure one output of pressure.   Beware using anyones load data copying this round- one little thing different in your gun and you are popping every primer, or worse.

Link Posted: 9/15/2003 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm offering cannelured Nosler 77gr OTM bullets in the EE if anyone's interested.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=180792[/url]
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 7:35:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Will this round function well without feed ramps?
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top