Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2003 2:31:50 PM EDT
I bought 1000 rounds of  Federal XM193 to shoot and it came in 2 500 round boxes.  The first 500 rnd lot functions perfect.  Now I'm working on the second but have run into a major problem.  The primers fall out after the round goes off causing nasty jams.  This happens in about 1 in 4 rounds.  It is very frustrating.  The cases are stamped 01 and the lot number on the box is 6. Anyone else have this kind of trouble.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Are there any signs of a headspace problem? Is this a new rifle or well used? The only time I had a problem blowing primers out of factory ammo was when there was a headspace problem.  I haven't had any problems with my XM193.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it a 5.56 or a .223 spec chamber?
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe its .223 chamber and it has had about 2000 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 1:16:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't believe you should be shooting the Lake City stuff out of your .223 chambered rifle.  It's made for the 5.56 right?  Back me up here someone
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 2:18:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't believe you should be shooting the Lake City stuff out of your .223 chambered rifle.  It's made for the 5.56 right?  Back me up here someone
View Quote

I don't believe you are supposed to fire 5.56mm M193 spec loaded ammunition through a rifle with a .223 spec chamber.  The .223 spec chamber is made for SAMMI spec loads which are lower pressure, lower velocity than Federal XM193.  Some people claim they have no problems doing it, but I think it's dangerous.  Safety is important.  That said if you've already gone through a bunch of it and it's fine, you might just want to try Win Q3131/Q3131A.  It's also M193 spec but seems to be loaded a little lighter.  *shrug* Don't say I didn't warn you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2003 4:58:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Check the markings on your barrel, check here for chamber specs ...

http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/ar15brands.msnw

and contact the manufacturer to be sure.

Also, excessive residue build-up, especially in the neck area of the chamber or in the barrel extension area where the bolt lugs turn and lock, can have the same effect as a headspace problem, especially on a new gun.

Tolerances here are in thousandths of inches.

Link Posted: 9/1/2003 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought 1000 rds of Federal XM193 ammo and have fired a few hundred of it without any problem in my Colt preban AR.  The brass are stamped LC-01, the boxes are Federal white box lot 6.

And I never notice any stabilization problems with a 1/7 barrel and 55 gr bullets. But I'm always using the iron battle sights so with my poor eyesight I'm happy to be an inch or two inside the black on an NRA 100-yd target.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info I'll do some checking.
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:51:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Utter nonsense.  It will work just fine if there isn't a problem with the weapon.  

Most of the match barrels are spec'ed at .223 and the mil surp stuff works just fine in them.  Been there and done that with thousands of other guys out there.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2003 3:53:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are there any signs of a headspace problem? Is this a new rifle or well used? The only time I had a problem blowing primers out of factory ammo was when there was a headspace problem.  I haven't had any problems with my XM193.
View Quote

That is most likely the real problem!  A dirty weapon can also cause this problem.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top