Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/29/2003 12:56:24 AM EDT
"The Major" seems to be selling 1000 rd increments of Hornady 75 gr.  I have heard of some concerns this is not a very hot loaded round.  I am looking for some good ammo for my 14.5 barrel 1/7 twist.  If this ammo is loaded to mil-spec it seems like a fair price for some good ammo.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 3:16:32 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not loaded to mil-specs. In fact, it's not even as fast as the Black Hills commercial stuff. But still, it's priced right and is otherwise good quality ammo. It might be a good practice load for you.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#2]
So I guess if I want some of the 75 or 77 gr ammo loaded to mil spec, I either reload my own or I bring out the checkbook?
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Is anyone even selling any milspec 75-77 grain bulleted loads?

I load my own with 4895; but it is a tight thing.  You have to prepare cases very carefully.

Larry
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where have you been over the last two months?

Tommy @ Georgia Precision is offering the Mk262 Mod 1 which is the military loading of the 77gr cannalured Nosler.  There is an 11-12 page thread on it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Tommy @ Georgia Precision is offering the Mk262 Mod 1 which is the military loading of the 77gr cannalured Nosler.  There is an 11-12 page thread on it.
View Quote

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=150906&page=11&w=myTopicPop]Discussion on the orders of 77 grain[/url]

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=167591]Tests of the 77 grain in gel[/url]
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:31:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the military actually using 75-77 gr rounds?
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

He has been gathering commitments for future purchases, not "selling" the cartridges.  They haven't even been made yet; so he is not rally "offering" the ammo.  On 8/13 he posted

This Friday is the cutoff day for ordering on this batch. I will be placing the order with Blackhills around noon, EST. If you were thinking about getting in on this, now is the time. See our website for further details.
View Quote

Besides, I was under the impression he had gotten commitments for all of the ammo.  As I just looked, he had a few thousand of the future ammo not comitted to yet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"The Major" seems to be selling 1000 rd increments of Hornady 75 gr.  I have heard of some concerns this is not a very hot loaded round.  I am looking for some good ammo for my 14.5 barrel 1/7 twist.  If this ammo is loaded to mil-spec it seems like a fair price for some good ammo.
View Quote

The Majors ammo is for use in High Power XC Matches, in a CMP 20 inch AR.

It is an alterative to reloading for new HP shooters and people who do not like to reload.

It will not be as HOT as some , but may be more accurate.

In your 14.5 inch barrel expect on average 100 FPS loss per inch of barrel from 20 inch.

IMHO with all the usual legal disclaimers.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top