Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2003 4:58:09 PM EDT
ONCE IN A WHILE I GET A ROUND JAMMED IN THE CHAMBER OF MY AR15. I DON'T HAVE ANY PROLBEM WITH FACTORY LOADS. WHEN THE ROUND GETS JAMMED I HAVE TO TAKE THE GUN APART TO GET IT OUT. I'M RELOADING ONCE FIRED BRASS WITH A 55GR BULLET. BULLET IS WITHIN SPEC. DOESN'T SEEM LIKE THERE IS ANY BULGES IN THE BRASS. SO IF ANYONE HAS EVERY HAD THIS PROLBEM AND HAS SOLVED IT I COULD USE SOME HELP. THANKS
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
IT'S NOT FEEDING 2 BULLET. JUST ONE AND IT'S GETTING JAMMED IN THE CHAMBER AFTER IT CLOSES ALL THE WAY
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You may want to try a different sizing die if you haven't already. And, if you don't have a cartridge case gauge handy, consider getting one. Also, clean chamber good as you can.

MM419
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:12:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a case gauge, LE Wilson from Midway be $ well spent.  Drop all your rounds while watching some lame tv show.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of brass are you using?

What's your load spec?

Can you easily extract an unfired round?

And...not to be a jerk or anything...can you please lay off the CAPS LOCK?  It's considered to be the equivalent of shouting and is thought to be kind of rude.    And it also makes the post a little harder to read.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:41:55 AM EDT
[#5]
For autoloading rifles, you need to be using a small base resizing die.  The standard resizing die is more suitable for a bolt action.

If you are using a small base die already, get a cartredge headspace gauge from midway, you may need to adjust your die setting.  I have seen several instances where the sizing die had to be returned to the factory to be shortened somewhat.  It wasn't sising the case enough, but this is very rare.

I'd bet a small base die will fix you up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:11:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd argue that you don't need the small base die unless your chamber is much tighter than normal.  My guess would be that you aren't getting a good, full resize.  Is your resize die touching the shell plate enough that you feel a little "cam over"  without a case?

You may have a resize die that's a little on the loose side...can you borrow another and try it or try some ammo loaded with a different die?  (try it for fit, don't shoot it).

If you do need the SB die, you need it.  You won't get as many reloads from a case, though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude, you are getting a wedge-fit on closing the bolt.  A good way to blow up the gun.  Gas guns with a floating firing pin have to have a loose fit in the chamber for safety.

Couple of possibilities, as follows.
Most likely:
Size down more fully, whether you need to better (proper) adjust the dies, or get a better die depends on your current setup.

OR

You may be getting a bulge right at the crimp, if you are crimping the bullet in.  Do not overcrimp, or bets, if crimping, get a Lee Factory Crimp die.  Just the best.

OR

You may be seating the bullet to where it hits the rifling and wedges.  Unlikely, if this is the case you should e able to extract the case leaving the bullet behind.  Unless you are also applying the crimp from Hell, of course.

Figure it out and fix it before you hurt yourself.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top