Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2003 9:33:42 AM EDT
Anyone ever handload a 163gr 30 cal AP M2 Bullet into a .300 Rem Ultra Mag??? What were you results... Accuracy?? steel penetration??

I know that a 163gr AP M2 roung in a .308 Win can penetrate 1/2" armor plating... wondering what a .300 Rem UM ( or any magnum )would do to Armor plating???

[Edited for correct bullet weight.]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:53:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm looking to blast a hole clean through a car's engine compartment... including engine... yet I do not want to get a .50 cal...

yeah I know I'm asking for a lot.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I was wandering about handloading these myself.

Are there any legal aspects of loading AP to be concerned about? I know some states have goofy laws...but IIRC the only thing that's a big no no is handgun AP.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm looking to blast a hole clean through a car's engine compartment... including engine... yet I do not want to get a .50 cal...

yeah I know I'm asking for a lot.
View Quote

I just cant see you doing that with a .30 cal.  Now the .50....[:D]
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just cant see you doing that with a .30 cal.  Now the .50....[:D]
View Quote

if 55grains of Win 852 can push the AP-M2 through 1/2" of armor steel...I'm hoping that with 95-100 grains of H1000, my Rem 700 PSS can push the steel core the target...

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Since penetrating an engine compartment side to side would require somthing like 10+ separate layers of metal and plastic, I seriously doubt that anything in the .30" class will do it.
The bullet could penetrate a small 4 cylinder side to side easily if there were no layers before it, but the different layers would very much act like a Chobham armour and defeat the bullet.

Would it disable the car?  Almost certainly.  But I doubt that you could enter the side of a modern engine compartment and penetrate all of the discrete layers and get an exit from the block.

You mention M2 bullet:  do you mean a black-tip slug, or the 150 grain lead core of the 30-06 M2 ammunition?  You say AP, so BT it must be.  Upping the velocity is not going to significantly increase the stability; it will tumble before completing the journey.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I guess it all depends on what kind of vehicle you are talking about.  Some kind of alluminum blocked import might be one thing but a Detroit built diesel like you would find in a Humvee or military truck would be something totally different.  1\2" of steel wouldn't be much compared to the 12 to 24 inches of steel and iron you would find in the block alone of one of these vehicles.  Now making the vehicle inoperable would be much easier to accomplish than a "clean pass through" which is what was asked about.  But, what do I know?  I've been wrong before.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
To stop an engine "right now" you just need to mess with the timing, spark, fuel lines, or any of the pistons.  Diesels don't have spark, but they have injectors which are just as vulnerable.  Modern engines are easier to stop than old ones.

To stop one "soon" is easier; just break almost anything under the hood.

A clean pass side to side that also hits enough to stop the engine is incredibly unlikely.  A clean pass that bisects the block isn't happening.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#9]
hey guys... I'm not trying to take moving vehicles or anything like that. A friend of mine has a few acres of land and a couple of junkers just sitting around. We have peppered the cars with just about everything but a 50 cal. we have made it to the block (both american built and foriegn japanese), but never made it through.

Peppering the cars is like haveing a piece of cheap gum... Full of flavor at first, but quickly goes away... We not want to really light these cars up by punching holes through the block.

we are both on a tight budget with our wives going back to college ( working on second degree ). We can not see getting a .50 rifle at this time.

if it can be done... then great.. if not.. we'll try something else...

A little Dynomite might do the job...  Don't even ask...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top